Logging question

Chef

So, I am looking to buy property in Sullivan county, I have narrowed it down to two lots 1 is 15 acer's and the other is 40 both would have to be logged and land cleared before I could build a house, has anyone ever done this before, does it cost money or will someone pay me to log the land? What are the going rates for either? If someone was to pay me would it be enough to supplement some of the cost of the land purchase..... Also the callicoon creek borders both lots... Does anyone know if I can even log or build near the creek.....

Thanks in advance for your responses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call a reputable forester, dec can recomended some. Tell them your looking to have a spot.cleared, they can make that a log.landing when done it's build able and cleared for free. There are thousands to be made from logging it you have the right size and kind of.. I've seen 5 acres make 38k and 100 acres only.make 16k.. a forester is the way to go they take a small % but they watch your back and your covered if damage is done and not fixed, roadways, ect..

• Like 2

My parents had a forester also. They marked what trees would be taken to actually sustain and better the forest ~ then they bid it out. Obviously your a hunter so I would go with the larger parcel. 15 you may find yourself wanting to put stands near property lines which can cause problems. 40 acres there's nothing like going hunting out your back door now and then

My parents had a forester also. They marked what trees would be taken to actually sustain and better the forest ~ then they bid it out. Obviously your a hunter so I would go with the larger parcel. 15 you may find yourself wanting to put stands near property lines which can cause problems. 40 acres there's nothing like going hunting out your back door now and then

I agree with the larger parcel, my family just sold a 35 acer plot that was surrounded by 400 acer's of woods that we could hunt..... These two lots we are looking at actually border eachother and are surrounded by 500 acer's of woods that we would have permission to hunt either way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't answer many of your questions. My son have been the same time. 16 acres logged in Yates County . He had a guy from the DEC oversee the operation. He was paid for the timber and the DEC charged him 15 percent but it was worth it .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk