Mama Bear and her cubs

LET EM GROW

Not sure if anyone lives or travels Route 21 South thru Wayland, NY and Loon Lake area, But i saw a Mother bear and her cubs last night before dark, I believe there were (4) cubs, and they were not much bigger than the size of a bowling ball. I did not stay long for the road had guard rails and no where to park, and kind of dangerous section of road. The bears were about a 1/2 mi. south of Loon lake on Rte 21. She was also seen by a customer of ours right there in the same area, early yesterday morning. I dont know much about mother bears with cubs and how far they travel when they are that young. But i would imagine they wont go too far too fast. Wish i had a camera on me for some photos, I would have had some great ones. 

But for anyone in that area, keep your eyes open, id imagine she wont be too far away from there. Its my daily route for traveling to and from work. 

Wish i had a camera on me for some photos, I would have had some great ones. Just thought it was super cool, and had to share for anyone in that area. And to remind myself and anyone else to bring a camera or bino's, you never know lol. 

• Like 5

On Opening Day of PA spring  gobbler season 1992, I encountered a sow with 5 (yes FIVE) cubs.  IIRC the year before or the year after that sighting I saw a sow with 3 cubs.  Both situations were on the same dead end road..........very cool!

Congrats to you on your sighting, they are neat to see!

• Like 1

I once had a bear with two cubs climb down out of a tree and start galloping right towards me and a friend.  She didn't know we were there until she got to about 20 yards away and we started making noise and yelling.  She stopped, stood up and I thought o boy this is it.  She got back down on all fours, turned and went quickly in the opposite direction.  Good thing we alerted her before she passed us with her cubs on the other side of us.  This was about 15 years ago while geocaching at the Wesley Hill nature preserve near Cummings nature center.

• Like 2

This picture is from 3-4 years ago and is poor flip-phone quality.

We had been seeing a Bear and her three cubs for about a year. Mommy kicked her cubs loose (I think it was mid-May) in the woods behind our house. They got pretty interested in our chicken coop until I yelled at them to go play somewhere else. There is a third cub behind the coop when the pic was taken. The two ran off quickly, but the third just scrambled about 150 yds back. We heard it crying and bawling in those woods for a day and a half. Poor thing missed it's Mommy. I felt sad for him or her. It did move off by late the next day.

I'm glad I over-built the coop and pen!

post-694-0-71507600-1461763814_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 3

That is awesome! I have got a couple trail cam photos of a mam bear in the background and 2 or 3 cubs jacking up my trail cam. they ended up breaking the strap and the bracket holding it around the tree and dragging it several yards from the tree.. Wish i could find the pics. I have put out several cams to catch coyote pups, fox pups fawns you name it. I saw 5 or 6 fox pups playing around a puddle of water on a tractor path the other day right off the road on the southern tier expressway. Also saw a dead newborn fawn and its mother on the side of the road hit by a car..

I enjoy capturing these newborn critters in there natural environment.. that's probably why i own 12 trail cameras lol .. this stuffs addicting!! 

• Like 1

not bears, but still neat. this family became quite tame in and around camp.. As i ran the tiller, mower or brush hog or anything theyd come out and just watch me everytime. when i got off they'd actually walk to within 20' or so..

until people started shooting them on drive bys

post-5238-0-49613400-1461765870_thumb.jp

post-5238-0-45233600-1461765876_thumb.jp

• Like 3