First real turkey hunt

Chef

So I went on my first real turkey hunt today, I have killed turkeys before but only as a byproduct of deer hunting..... God was it fun. I went with my friend who is also my deer hunting partner. We got in the woods around 5 set up some decoys and started calling...... With in 5 min i we heard a loud gobble coming from stright in front of us.... I kept calling and he kept gobbling.... After 10 min we were able to locate him in a tree about 50 yards from us.... As the sun came up he kept gobbling but flew down to our right and disappeared.... After 10 min of silence and no response to my calls we heard a gobble to our left... I called and he gobbled back... And now the bird who had gone off to our right joined in...we could tell they weren't coming closer and decide to move 30 yards in the direction of the bird on the right... We kept calling and he started to come closer.... We watched him cross the road and come into our little section of timber..... He was not alone.... It was two small jakes together.... We called them to within 30 yards but did not shoot because they were just too small.... It was a blast and we will be back out tomorrow morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Nice.  I went on my first turkey hunt as well today.  Had some gobbling too.  Went back and forth for about 15 min or so.  then he trailed off.  My buddy who hunts turkeys a lot said he might have had hens with him and went off with them.  cool nonetheless to get gobbles.   Good luck he rest of the way.

• Like 2

So we went out again this morning adjusted our set up from yesterday set up decoys waited for the sky to turn grey and started to lightly cluck...... Within minuets we had gobbling no more than 50 yards away.... It turned out to be 3 jakes all rooster together.... After talking back and forth with them for 20 min or so they decided to leave the roost... They flew down to our right... Gobbled a few more times and then ignored my calls and went in the other direction never to be seen again.... Any Idea what we did wrong ?

• Like 1

at 50 yards with the light tree canopy they may have seen you. I don't call too much while they're still roosted. I'll do a flydown call and await them to hit the deck and call at em. Obviously I'll throw a little lovin their way to peak their interest while roosted such as a cluck or two (like you did)  Betting they in fact saw you setting up the dekes or settling down at your tree. Call softer than you think you should  and more infrequently than you think.  Sounds like you may be hooked on turkey hunting now. Good on you 

at 50 yards with the light tree canopy they may have seen you. I don't call too much while they're still roosted. I'll do a flydown call and await them to hit the deck and call at em. Obviously I'll throw a little lovin their way to peak their interest while roosted such as a cluck or two (like you did) Betting they in fact saw you setting up the dekes or settling down at your tree. Call softer than you think you should and more infrequently than you think. Sounds like you may be hooked on turkey hunting now. Good on you

. 100% hooked, anything to get me in the woods outside of deer season and fishing I'm down, and hunt a animal that communicates back to you is pretty awesome

Any Idea what we did wrong ?

Yeah, stop calling to them on the roost. At most, a couple clucks to let them know where you are, maybe a soft three note series of yelps, then shut up. If there aren't any hens around then I wouldn't even call to them until they hit the ground. You're also over calling when they are on the ground. How do I know? Because you're a new turkey hunter, it's pretty much a sure thing. However much you've been calling try to cut it in half, and then cut that amount in half again. That should be a good place to start.

Yeah, stop calling to them on the roost. At most, a couple clucks to let them know where you are, maybe a soft three note series of yelps, then shut up. If there aren't any hens around then I wouldn't even call to them until they hit the ground. You're also over calling when they are on the ground. How do I know? Because you're a new turkey hunter, it's pretty much a sure thing. However much you've been calling try to cut it in half, and then cut that amount in half again. That should be a good place to start.

. Thanks

welcome to the world of turkey hunting! there really isn't much in this world that is more exciting than a loud gobble! your probably just over calling, it's really hard not to when your first starting. try just a couple soft clucks while their still in the roost. he'll know your there

At 50 yards they should have seen you or dekes. Cluck or maybe tree yelp in the half light if they gobbled when they couldn't see you if not no sounds, they commonly fly right to dekes when that close.

You said you heard gobbling within minutes, that means you got there way too late possibly.

This time of year I'm personally often in the woods set up by 4. I'll get to property 45-1hr earlier. This allows me to, once close, walk a step or two at time. The birds won't wake or be awake. If you break something just stop n if a head pops wait til they re tuck. You can see birds in trees but that time is almost over w the foilage.

Assume they awoke if you break something n just wait. Few steps at time like a deer. Oh n no lights imo

Edited by Bowguy 1