first field corn plot in...

That's half a monkey of my back... I went out and planted the pumpkins  acorn and catalope in the sweet corn plot then fertilized and spread the feed corn in lower plot........ disced lightly and dragged the harrow drag, tines up, over the corn at the same time ..Then because still could see a good amount of corn ..of course I put 50#'s On a 1/4 acre...(usual amount) I drove the Gator over it to pack it in...   rain not due to Thursday(hope hope)  so lets see how it goes well....Gator and I look like we got caught in a dust storm!

• Like 2

Mine has always had great germination...Thank God because keeping the birds out of it is a dang battle...just lost all my garden corn plants and the robins hovered around me they entire time I was planting the sweet corn plot..Mr B said the crows were out there tonight. It will be turkey next.

I put in about (4) acres of field corn with my old 2-row planter on the weekend before Memorial day.  Germination was excellent at near 100%. I just got back from a ride around the plots with my mountain bike and they are looking kind of sad with the lack of rain.  Fortunately, the weeds are also doing poorly.   If and when we get some rain, everything will probably take off.  As soon as it does, I am going to take care of the weeds by cultivating, and spraying roundup on the rows only.

I always use free RR seed-corn, leftover from farmer-friends a year or two prior.   Hopefully we will get some rain soon as the current drought conditions are bad, and every time rain has been predicted, very little or none has came.   The only plants that look good at our place are those around the house that I can reach with a hose.   I think I will put up a portable stand by my pond on the back 40.  It has always held water through even the driest years. That will keep my bases covered if this drought lasts until fall and the corn don't grow.  Every year I have had good corn, our venison supply has been plentiful.  I have a feeling that water will be worth more than corn this fall however.            

I replanted my field corn screens after the birds and critters picked all the sprouts out of the dirt and ate the attached seed lol.. dang things. This time after replanting, i packed it in hoping it would make it harder to pull through.. but without rain they have yet to sprout.. same with my soybeans, they look horrible, planted May 20th,  half the seeds havent even germinated yet due to lack of rain (im hoping), So i reseeded those again this weekend with an earlier maturing RR soybean from seedway.. fingers are crossed we get a good day or 2 worth of rain.. in the mean time i have time to fix my damn tractor i hope lol

I just bought more sweet corn seed for the garden 74 day (all they had) and will try again...this time the bird fencing will be staked and stretched 6" above the area...

Did you check for wire worms...we have a lot this year....they will hammer corn and I find bean seed as well.

https://extension.entm.purdue.edu/fieldcropsipm/insects/corn-wireworms.php

https://extension.entm.purdue.edu/fieldcropsipm/insects/soybean-wireworms.php

Edited by growalot

mine were snipped of at ground level...when I replanted the rows pink seed and roots were still in the ground...I have the bird netting ready to go... ;)

That was just general info to avoid further replants...I had wire and army worms take out nearly everything one year...I hate using pesticides but sometimes ya just have to...The slve you can get in granular form works pretty well and can be dragged into the soil to avoid birds getting to it...helps with lots of bugs....including ants...we have a real ant problem as well...sandy loam and tons of rocks...red ants

Edited by growalot