farmers cows got onto our property and destroyed 10 acres of corn, 5 acres of pumpkins and 5 acres of brassica.  Putting in the pumpkins this weekend and hope they don't break through the fence again!  We get our pumpkin seed from seedway and johny seeds.

I thought they had insurance for just that type of damage...I'm pretty sure they are suppose to carry something....

I looked it up...of course I couldn't find NYS law but many many other states have farm fencing laws that require compensation...seed, time, diesel, and fertilizer isn't cheap ....It also isn't something to be trivialized...because you can lay money down,  that if you damaged his crops...he'd come after you for compensation to avoid his policy premiums from going up....

You just have to judge the cost in financial losses to neighbor relations...at the very least talking with him about a compromise...his planting a field or two for you next spring...

Split if you thought enough to call the sheriff...I would take what he says with a grain of salt and delve deeper into the Ag/property laws...The sheriffs really aren't trained extensively in such things...sometimes their knowledge  is a matter of standing operating positions on their end, than fact...just saying...good luck with the new crops.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Where do you buy your seed...I just planted 2 100 ft rows of them...

I kinda do what you do with the field corn seed. Try to buy non hybrid types shared around the neighborhood.  I try to save between 6 to 7 hundred seeds. 

I got the land worked up nicely. Started planting hills.  Heard a buzzing noises; turn my head and there was a swarm of honey bees moving backside. I took after them with a tractor; thought I had them dropped in a tree but, the little buggers got air born on me again.  I got into the middle of them several times clapping my hands, but they wouldn't drop. Ended up crossing a roadway; having several motorist stop wondering why some guy crossing the road walking quickly clapping his hands.  Must have look quite comical. One car ran right through them Another motorist wanted to know if he should call someone, LOL. I lost them, on my nearly 2 mile journey when they crossed a waterway on a wind shift. Guess they already had a home in mind.

farmers cows got onto our property and destroyed 10 acres of corn, 5 acres of pumpkins and 5 acres of brassica.  Putting in the pumpkins this weekend and hope they don't break through the fence again!  We get our pumpkin seed from seedway and johny seeds.

Sorry to hear that.

We had this happen years ago to a neighbor when our cows jumped a fence. Got into a 4 acre green headed oat field and did quite a bit of damage. He was able to harvest quite a few oats. We worked out an agreement with him to plant the field to wheat at no cost to him. He was quite happy with that and we became real good friends through the years.

Dairy or beef?

More grinding to do on a dairy animal....... 

Damn, when my cattle were out they plowed through a extensive garden and not only did I replant the whole thing, those folks got any cut they wanted when I had one go to slaughter.

I know growers need to have pumpkins ready for their commercial customers in September. The dry weather could soften the blow slightly and make a market for October. I got hit with the wet weather the last 3 Junes and no pumpkins for retail. This year looks like the exact opposite with to dry. The need for irrigation will raise the price. Hopefully, things will work out for ya!

I planted a few mounds this year for the first time to see how the deer like them.

As far as the deer ruining the plots, your neighbor is a real jerk. Apparently he has no interest in having a good relationship, we'd be in small claims court.