Bears - June Card Pull

Rebel Darling

Here's a quick video of momma and her two yearlings taken in early June.  I'm betting she ditched them not long after the cam captured them.  This is in the front yard clearing that I'm hoping to turn into a viable food plot as the years go by.  I have a stand set on the other side of this clearing; the does already frequent it.

Bears.m4v

• Like 1

She won't ditch them till fall/ winter. Breeding is spring and she will have new cubs next winter after being bred this coming spring 2017. Bears keep cubs 2 years.. before breeding again

Huh... I had always thought that mom ditches after a year with black bears.

Thanks... I'll have to read a bit more.

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

No cubs stay with mom 2 years.. that's why there was a long standing rule not to kill a bear in a group regardless of size. Now with larger populations the rule was removed last year or year before.. I'd have to look up some old guides to be sure .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No cubs stay with mom 2 years.. that's why there was a long standing rule not to kill a bear in a group regardless of size. Now with larger populations the rule was removed last year or year before.. I'd have to look up some old guides to be sure .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is one of the sites I was researching... It states 17 months, with a ditch in June:

http://bearwithus.org/understanding-bears/the-black-bear-mother-her-cubs/

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By CapDistPatriot
      I couldn't even watch the video. Just pisses me off that A.) Some "people" do think this is acceptable behavior, and B.) The humane society feels the need to smear all who partake in our great sport by releasing the video. I mean, they didn't just get this from a leak, they actually took the time to file a FOIA request.
      I have some sympathy for someone who poaches a deer here and there because he cannot afford food from the grocery store (out where I grew up it was quite common) and needs to feed his family, but these @$$holes are just killing for sport. Complete disrespect for the lives of the creatures God created for us.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Video-of-Alaska-father-and-son-illegally-killing-bear-shrieking-cubs-made-public-507736061.html
    • By CapDistPatriot
      I was waiting for the glass to break on this guy. Cool Video
      https://www.wusa9.com/video/news/nation-now/deer-wont-stop-knocking-on-guys-door/465-b62e3b2d-c05f-4b0b-b658-345dfe1a1242
    • By CapDistPatriot
      5 yds with a .357 mag 679 pounder. This guy has a pair for sure!
      https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/man-kills-679-pound-male-black-bear-at-5-yards-with-357-handgun
      They may have smaller deer down in PA, but they sure do have some massive friggin bears!
    • By Padre86
      I'm looking at the big game hunting opportunities in Ontario, CA.  According to the province's regulations, non-residents (with some exceptions) have to hunt bear and moose with a licensed guide.  So, unguided, DIY hunts (at least for bear and moose) aren't feasible up there.

I've looked through a few different guiding websites to get a baseline for the prices that are charged: $3.5k-$6k per person for Moose hunts (depending on the level of guide services); and $2.5k-$3.5k for black bear hunts (again depending on the level of guide services).

My question: are there any guides/outfitters which offer minimal services, and cheap fees, for hunting these animals?  For example, is there an outfitter which takes on a non-resident hunter as registered guest but allows him/her to hunt DIY for a cheaper rate than what is mentioned above?
    • By Padre86
      Anyone here ever tried calling for black bear in the northern zone of NY (mostly referring to Tug Hill and the ADK's)?

I've heard that in certain areas which have similar vegetation and terrain to NY (western Oregon and Washington) calling black bear is a tactic used by some hunters, as traditional spot-and-stalk hunts aren't really feasible and baiting and hounding aren't allowed.

I was thinking of trying some calling this coming fall.  I'd be interested in talking to anyone else who has tried this method.