Over seeding..

Just curious if anyone has had luck with overseeding forage oats, winter rye, and or winter wheat over a brassica plot? ive got some thin spots in one of my Brassicas plots and thought whats better than a buffet for them to choose from.. I think regardless im going to try it anyways, and seed it right before a good rain. Probably Labor Day weekend when i return from vacation.. I plant them with equipment nearly every year but this year, with great results, just not sure about overseeding them with no tilling or rolling.. Thanks in advance.. 

• Like 1

I plant the oats first, about an inch or so deep or into the moisture for a dry year like this one. Then spread the radish seed on top, giving it a good roll down. Planted oats in beets too.  Deer feed heavily on the oats till their gone. They hit the radish mid to late October. They didn't eat many beets or turnips when their radish around.  I wouldn't trade my oat radish mixture for anything else. Sixty four lb. of oats and eight lb. of radish to the acre  makes a nice stand.  Worked into muzzleloader season last year. 2013 and 14, deer fed on the radish into February.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I usually save some seed when I plant so that I can take a rock rake with me and scratch up any thin spots and fill them in with the extra seed. Ill be doing that to my plots this weekend actually. I know of a couple of spots I accidentally missed.

Are you going to try my mixture this season?

My deer are a little opposite of yours, with the brassicas. Mine love turnips and oats. But won't even touch any part of a radish plant. Found out after planting 2 acres worth lol. Going to try rutabaga next year.

There's a lot of rock on this plot, probably being the reason it's thinner. But until I can pull the rock thus winter or next spring. I'm just going to over seed it and hope for the best. A friend of mine just told me he sprayed, then mowed a plot last year and threw forage oats plus on top of the ground and the rain did the rest..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Are you going to try my mixture this season?

I did one of our plots in brassica/turnip/GHR and then the WR seed is growing from last years WR that we mowed in. It looks really nice so far and Im going to toss a bit more WR in there while Im doing the WR/oats plots in a few weeks.

• Like 2

I did one of our plots in brassica/turnip/GHR and then the WR seed is growing from last years WR that we mowed in. It looks really nice so far and Im going to toss a bit more WR in there while Im doing the WR/oats plots in a few weeks.

Do you mix the oats and WR together or plant them in separate strips? Was going to mix em together. I've only done oats, never incorporated any other grains

Funny how some deer won't touch certain things. I believe the farmers got the deer use to radish here, planting it into wheat stubble. Three years now, no radish has been planted in large fields. I kicked in with radish; BOOM.

I planted deer ag brassicas thisbyear. They have the radish mixed in with turnips and others. Hoping they'll eat them in a blend, or grow to like them lol. If not, they'll help the soil anyways

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 8:15 AM, LET EM GROW said:

Just curious if anyone has had luck with overseeding forage oats, winter rye, and or winter wheat over a brassica plot? ive got some thin spots in one of my Brassicas plots and thought whats better than a buffet for them to choose from.. I think regardless im going to try it anyways, and seed it right before a good rain. Probably Labor Day weekend when i return from vacation.. I plant them with equipment nearly every year but this year, with great results, just not sure about overseeding them with no tilling or rolling.. Thanks in advance.. 

Have done it with Winter Rye. Good thing about it, it will grow on almost anything.