Crown Heights ?

Nomad

Ok you NYC fellas, our oldest got a job at a NYC hospital and is moving to NYC to live with her BF who's in Med school there.

They're close to signing on a place in Crown Heights, new construction, parking garage , doorman, cameras and so on.

I understand the area is under going gentrification , other than that I don't know much of the area .

It'll be two couples , two med students , a nurse and a CNN reporter chick.

Crown Heights is an up and coming neighborhood. Not there yet comparable to Harlem but not horrible. To be honest, there really aren't to many horrible neighborhoods left in Manhattan. Anything old and crummy is being torn down for new luxury apartments. 

• Like 2

Pretty much all of Manhattan is either government subsidized (ghetto projects) or luxury apartments.  Brooklyn and Long Island City has become the new hipster areas.  As BK said, Crown Heights isn't bad but it's also not the best place to stumble around drunk and pass out in a corner either.  A little common street smarts and Crown Heights is perfectly fine.  My SIL and her husband live in Crown Heights.  Both are pharmacists.

• Like 2

What street is crown heights? I don't know of much north 90th east or west.

Edited: I just googled it, it's Brooklyn which I know nothing about except that some have a long commute from out there to midtown.

Where they working? What about living in Manhattan?

I would bet the upper east side is still fun and super safe. I lived there about 6-7 years ago and I could have passed out on the streets and nobody would have robbed me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

St Marks ave E. The two guys are in med school at Downstate, but they move around to,different hospitals the girl works for CNN , no,idea where that is. My daughter got a job at New York Presbyterian, it's 20 or 25 minutes I thInk .

At least it is from Park Slope I believe .

Whats interesting is while Rochester is a small city, our good and bad areas are pretty seperate , there are no professionals moving into bad or so so,areas. We drive cars , the kid flipping burgers drives his own car. So,there's no subway with a mix of people,passing through different parts of town. There's little walking home , she drives home and parks in a small lot ten feet from her door .

When I worked in the hood I went to tons of shootings, gun shots  nightly  , one year 5 were shot to,death within 100 yards of the firehouse , the 8 years I've worked at my present house I don't recall one shooting in my first in district .

Im sure she'll be fine, it's just different, I'm just trying to,figure it out .

Thanks everyone .

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 2

New York Presbyterian has multiple outer locations but their main location is in upper Manhattan. If she is at the main location then Crown Heights is a really long commute for her. She would find comparable living in the west side of Washington Heights. They completely gentrified the west side of Washington Heights and tried to get the name changed to Hudson Height but was successful in the name change. The other option would be the west section of Inwood or any where in Riverdale. That is of course if she is at the main New York Presbyterian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crown Heights is in Brooklyn. Why are people talking about Manhattan?  Any urban living is different than the suburbs or rural experience. You can't be nonchalant when going about town. Most people in NYC are good people, but if you make yourself out to be a mark .. well you'll get taken advantage of.  I grew up in downtown Manhattan and worked all over the city.   If you are from out of town and moving in, learn how to cross the street and learn how to walk on the sidewalk.  Don't walk close to buildings, things do fall out of windows or off buildings. 

My daughter lives in Crown Heights, and she is on St Marks Ave too!  But in an older building, not new construction.  It is a pretty decent neighborhood, she moved there from Harlem a few weeks ago.  It is a longer subway commute into Manhattan where she works, but not bad at all, half an hour tops.  It takes longer to drive there in your car.

I would not call Crown Heights gentrified, it is very mixed.  Even the part of Harlem where she lived was mixed, some nice building and stores, then one block over, old and sketchy.  It's NYC, you get what's available unless you can afford a lot of money for rent or are willing to share small apartments with several people.

When you are young and twenty, it's a great place!  I'm fifty-five and and love my open spaces and a car in the garage.

Good luck to your daughter, she's smart enough to finish medical school, she will manage Brooklyn just fine.