Youth bear....

growalot

3 hours ago, growalot said:

1  you got the point ...planning

2  youth take bigger game than a 300+#bear? Ok.....

Some of you are trying to make something out of this post that it wasn't...that's ok too...lol:rolleyes:

You ever heard of moose? Of course they take animals bigger than 300, elk I'm sure as well though I have no personal friends kids that have, buffalo, African animals, etc. The moose were taken by young children n winched out. Where there's a will (plan) theres a way. Not sure why you're not buying this? 

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

So you go out rabbit hunting and flush a grouse? You don't take it? Wouldn't take a coyote while deer hunting? How about the overlap for bow and turkey?

I would shoot a coyote for sure but have never seen one , i have seen turkey but not taken a shot at one in many years. 

I just want to add that i don't have an issue with it ,i was just saying i haven't done it in a long time . I really like the point about letting the shooter know they are in for lots of work ahead of time. 

Edited by Jeremy K

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Bear tastes better than venison ? Not what I've heard. I've had a roast , blech  

We don't have the $ for a bear mount nor desire a rug either   No fireplace to put it in front of lol 

no means to get bear out of woods. 

Meat yield is roughly 10% of live weight 

never have seen one so well let it walk 

again , not arguing with those who want to shoot one . Just not for me 

Bear meat is better. I mostly eat game n that's how I feel n most guys seem to that understand how to cook it which goes for any meat, especially wild game.

Next one you get take some chops n brush melted butter n Worcestershire on it as it cooks on grill or just put accent food seasoning instead of the other two. 

This site seems anti bear eating. What you heard, your words not mine may be incorrect. 

Some people disdain all meat, or some cultures cows, some eat rats, you get the point. 

Bear is a fatty marbly meat, it needs to be on grill or oven rack so some of the grease bleeds out. 

Now spring hunts in extreme northern climates can have bears fresh out of the den which would affect taste as certainly would a late May/June hunt where the bear sat in the shade of some tarp n the fat turned green n the claws fell out. That bear isn't fit for consumption. 

Not sure what kinda bear you ate but to be honest if we aren't going to eat them they should walk. 

I guarantee some "hunters" here don't eat deer meat, or turkeys, pheasant, rabbit, squirrel. Plain n simple don't waste em. 

Edited by Bowguy 1

Bear meat is better. I mostly eat game n that's how I feel n most guys seem to that understand how to cook it which goes for any meat, especially wild game.

Next one you get take some chops n brush melted butter n Worcestershire on it as it cooks on grill or just put accent food seasoning instead of the other two. 

This site seems anti bear eating. What you heard, your words not mine may be incorrect. 

Some people disdain all meat, or some cultures cows, some eat rats, you get the point. 

Bear is a fatty marbly meat, it needs to be on grill or oven rack so some of the grease bleeds out. 

Now spring hunts in extreme northern climates can have bears fresh out of the den which would affect taste as certainly would a late May/June hunt where the bear sat in the shade of some tarp n the fat turned green n the claws fell out. That bear isn't fit for consumption. 

Not sure what kinda bear you ate but to be honest if we aren't going to eat them they should walk. 

I guarantee some "hunters" here don't eat deer meat, or turkeys, pheasant, rabbit, squirrel. Plain n simple don't waste em. 

Bear is truly the basis for "you are what you eat. The first I ever tried had spent it's life eating at the dump and it was one of the worst things I have ever eaten. Bears in the wild are delicious and you nailed it with having to cook it raised. It is good in stews as well.

You ever heard of moose? Of course they take animals bigger than 300, elk I'm sure as well though I have no personal friends kids that have, buffalo, African animals, etc. The moose were taken by young children n winched out. Where there's a will (plan) theres a way. Not sure why you're not buying this? 

Lets see:

No ...I live in a small little box...whats a moose? :rolleyes:

Have We some how opened a Moose or exotic youth hunt in NEW YORK STATE ?

Did you actually read my original post? Please that was just a rhetorical question.

14 hours ago, growalot said:

1  you got the point ...planning

2  youth take bigger game than a 300+#bear? Ok.....

Some of you are trying to make something out of this post that it wasn't...that's ok too...lol:rolleyes:

I agree with you Grow. This is a big undertaking shooting a bear. Planning is key and if you can't answer all the questions and agree to a plan don't shoot it. Personally I think it should be left out of Youth season. Let's concentrate on the deer. Use a bear sighting as something really special that not every hunter gets to see. Take it from there to peak the youth's interest. I have run across some hardened hunters that shot bear and never would do it again. Between my camp and the one next door we have about 20 hunters. I don't believe anyone has ever shot a bear. There are some guys up in their 70's. I rather let them have the opportunity to shoot a bear. JMO

• Like 1

Thanks you got my point...With guys taking kids out as mentors, it can have a backfired type of reaction when kids are told you need to hold off if a bear does come by...I just went back through,  just THIS sites, bear thread and read through some of the "after the shot posts".  I was going to post some quotes but haven't the desire.

May what ever kid does get the go ahead...they are with someone that has a plan and understands what is involved...and knows what the PARENTS want to have happen....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, growalot said:

Lets see:

No ...I live in a small little box...whats a moose? :rolleyes:

Have We some how opened a Moose or exotic youth hunt in NEW YORK STATE ?

Did you actually read my original post? Please that was just a rhetorical question.

Growalot I wasn't dising you. I'm just not sure why youths or anything else matter. Every single hunt takes planning, from a small game pouch for birds, deer drag, etc

OK lets try this again....You have people out there with KIDS and lots of girls that have NEVER shot a bear. They have no clue what is involved in taking a BEAR....they are tuned into getting these kids a deer. But now these excited kids have an option. One that is totally DIFFERENT than killing and gutting and transporting  a DEER. DECISIONS NEED to be made ahead of time.  Now for all the feel good "wording " the DEC puts out about youth now being able to shoot a bear,granted they have put out skinning and gutting instructions...they haven't put out the actual work involved and man power needed to do all this. Not EVER kids is going out into the woods with some he-man in tow...They may be with an elder or a woman or just some weekend warrior doing a good thing.  If you can not get into how a kids mind works and how they view Adult decisions that need to be made. Then you could never understand the points I'm trying to put out there...nuff said.

Edited by growalot

14 minutes ago, growalot said:

One that is totally DIFFERENT than killing and gutting and transporting  a DEER. DECISIONS NEED to be made ahead of time.  

I think this is being over stated a bit. The transport and handling is the key. There is no difference in the killing and gutting. Honestly, except for the texture and amount of fat there is no difference in processing. I haven't looked into much data for NY on this but having been to a "bear camp" in Canada for 3 years, I bet Ontario post a higher weight average for the bear take. That said from my observations there and the bears my hunting partners have taken in NY, I bet 90% of the bears taken are 250# or under and better than 50% are under 200#. We aren't talking about getting a moose out of the Yukon here. Should all aspect be considered, sure, even for adults hunting. There are members on this board that couldn't drag a 1.5 year old deer a half mile out of the woods. 

I would bet that the kids being taken out by mentors are being placed in good and easily accessible spots. I would bet that the vast majority aren't going 3-5 miles back in the bush with a brand new youth hunter. 

Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, First-light said:

I agree with you Grow. This is a big undertaking shooting a bear. Planning is key and if you can't answer all the questions and agree to a plan don't shoot it. Personally I think it should be left out of Youth season. Let's concentrate on the deer. Use a bear sighting as something really special that not every hunter gets to see. Take it from there to peak the youth's interest. I have run across some hardened hunters that shot bear and never would do it again. Between my camp and the one next door we have about 20 hunters. I don't believe anyone has ever shot a bear. There are some guys up in their 70's. I rather let them have the opportunity to shoot a bear. JMO

I had almost 30 years in the woods before I had a chance at a bear in NY. My father had 50 years in before his. I know several hunters that hunt NZ and SZ and are better than 30 year veterans to NY deer woods and they have never seen one in the woods during the season. How many of those hunters in your camp are in the same boat? 

SO if the chance is such a rarity, why even consider putting the brakes on a young hunter? It could be their only chance in their lifetime. If you are a mentor, prepare for the possibility and then go have fun with the kids.  

10 minutes ago, growalot said:

I just refuse to go pull up and paste quotes from here and others sites, on just "how easy dealing with a dead bear was" for a lot of hunters and  grown men at that.

I can't speak for anyone other than myself Grow. I have taken care of 4 bears. one was as easy as backing the truck up. One was driving a wheeler to it and the other two were about a half mile drag to transportation. We put two of us dragging and it went pretty well. the one drag was for a 275#, the others were under 250. I have had worse drags with big bucks. Don't get me wrong, it is physical but so it gettign that 12 pointer out of some of the areas we hunt. 

3 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I had almost 30 years in the woods before I had a chance at a bear in NY. My father had 50 years in before his. I know several hunters that hunt NZ and SZ and are better than 30 year veterans to NY deer woods and they have never seen one in the woods during the season. How many of those hunters in your camp are in the same boat? 

SO if the chance is such a rarity, why even consider putting the brakes on a young hunter? It could be their only chance in their lifetime. If you are a mentor, prepare for the possibility and then go have fun with the kids.  

I see what you are saying but I would rather leave the bear in the woods and have the older guys get a chance. Kids have their whole lifetime of hunting in front of them.

Edited by First-light

Look at that... another reason to make such a thread. The number of adults taking Kids out that also have little or NO experience dealing with caring for a down bear...So again get EVERYONE on the same page and MAKE SURE you have a solid plan and equipment before anyone says yes to pulling the trigger...The mentors are suppose to be out there to make sure the kids have a GREAT all around experience...not just to live vicariously through them:derisive: