Fletch's Tall Tined Tales 2016

Fletch

Venison tacos are the best, and that is what we used our last pack for this week.  I might just have to thaw out some roasts and put them thru the grinder.  With the cold weather coming in, your luck should be changing soon, so get ready for one.    I look forward to seeing some pics and I just put in a good word for your son and Turkeyfeather's daughter with my buddy JC.   He has helped our family get all the venison we need every year.        

• Like 1

10/9 pm

Took my son down to the deep hole stand set up. We were on the ground so it was a bit different and slimmed down actual shooting openings. The wind was right and he wanted to hunt there so we gave it a whirl. It was a nice bit but nothing. My bro was bow hunting up on the ridge and no luck either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10/10 am 38

It was nice and cold this morning. Conner threw an extra layer on,this will be his coldest sir yet. In the blind out back for 3 hours.

A little before 8 and a few minutes after he had a quick nap he spotted a doe walking right at us. Then a little one came running by her and she started running and they came straight at us and cut by our side through a thicket across the creek bottom. She stopped behind a tree and the little one, a button, ran back by us and into the small field opening and hit our mock. He is jumping all over on his back legs trying to get into the licking branch lol. He then runs back to her and they head straight away slowly offering no shot. They get up the hill 80 yards or so and she turns and runs right back by us to stop 20 yards from us staring right at us. We couldn't move quick enough to switch Windows and we're stuck for like 5 minutes, 40 if you ask Conner lol, in a stare off. She is high alert and does a couple stomps and snorts. She knows something is off. She finally turns and bounds straight away. I got her to stop with a bleat but she was in some brush with no shot. We were close just one of those where luck was with the deer.

It was nice finally seeing a deer!

• Like 1

10/11 pm 45

Changed it up a bit tonight and hit public land in Tully for the last couple hours of youth season. No luck. He will be back at it with the crossbow second week of November for the rut. I needed to put a little more thought into ground watches with all the leaves on the trees!

10/11 pm 62

Got out for the last two hours in my far stand out back. Warn and real quiet out. Around 5:45 i had my first deer sighting of bow season 2016!! About 80-90 yards out I had two flat heads cut behind me out across my left. They were feeding and ran off up the ridge. About 15 minutes late I had 2, i think the same two, run from the ridge out front across in front of me and around my right to settle down behind me. They then walked right to me. One was a button and the other was just about the same size. Maybe she was his mom but dang she was not big. They ate pretty much under my stand and within 30 feet of me for 15 minutes or so and then wandered off.

I am off to Chicago in the am for business so I am not back into the woods until Saturday.

10/15 pm 67

Out back for just the last 1.5 hours. It was pretty stinkin warm out. Had a yote come by just before dark but a bit too far out. I mouth squeaked and he stopped and came to me to 25 yards but could not get a shot before he realized he made a bad call and took off. That was it.

10/16 am 55

Was a very quiet morning and warm. I sat for 4 hours in the far stand out back. At 8ish I had a 1.5 yr old 4 point come right past me at under 15 yards. He then bedded behind me at 25 yards for a few minutes. Something spooked him and he ran about 20 yards or so then settled down and walked right up behind me to my other side no more than 10 yards away and browsed around. He did check out my mock but did not show much interest. After 20 minutes of browsing he eased off.

At about 9ish I had another come in the same way and passed by me at 15 yards. This one was a 1.5 year old as well with a 7 point rack. Both got passes as I am hoping for a bigger buck or a fat doe right now.

It felt good seeing some deer!

10/19 pm 64

Down in the deep hole stand for two hours. Real quiet night. Pulled the card over the mock and not a lot of action. One small buck two nights in a row and thats it. Looks like a LOT of rain in the forcast so the next couple days are up in the air.

10/20 pm 55

I had my eye on the radar most of the day so this afternoon I saw a good 3(hopefully) hour gap in the rain. I made it out to my far stand out back for an hour and a half. Leaves have been falling like crazy and I can see farther every trip in. About 5:30 I caught a flash and had 3 flatheads running at me off to my right. They passed by 50-60 yards out running and stopped after a ways in the brush. They ran into my downwind and were a bit hinky. The walked back up my right side but the doe was too far out at 48 yards when she hit the lane. They wandered around out front to the right of me for a bit and wandered off. I keep having deer run in! It really is not turning into good shot ops! This forcast is piss poor. Almost thinking of heading north to rifle hunt instead of watching it rain here.

Edited by Fletch

10/21 pm 52

About a rerun of yesterday. Rained all day and about 3:30 it stopped and radar looked safe for a couple hours so off i went. Hunted out in the far stand out back again for 1.5 hours. On the way in I was easing in, it was quiet. I rounded a corner in my trail into a woodlot and i was focused in front where I have seen deer a lot, not to the right where I almost never have. Well I catch something out of the corner of my eye and freeze. I am in the wide open and I see two yotes with their noses down in the leaves side by side broadside. If i would have noticed a step or two earlier I may have been able to put one arrow through both the way they were lined up! Unfortunately as soon as I stopped one looked up and did not like me and trotted away. The other stared my way a minute more and followed.  They were only 25 yards from me so I went over to see what they were into. There were a bunch of fallen berries of somekind so I imagine that is what they were eating. Did not see any deer.

10/22 am 45

Well this morning was a bit off. I did not even set alarm after seeing weather forcast, 100% rain all day and 20 mph wind. So dog wakes me up at 6:50 and it is not raining and not windy. My bro had texted a few times sayin he was in stand. I said what the heck and was in my far stand out back at 7:30. It started raining but not bad and wind was not bad either. I notice my mock had been hit since I left last night, hope not at 7:15 before I got there!

At 8 am had two come out on my right. A button and the smallest doe. I could not talk myself into shooting her as in I would get about 20 pounds of meat. She moved downwind and started getting nervous and had me froze standing. I then hear a grunt behind me and crashing and here come a buck chasing the button buck all over. He stopped 12 yards behind me and he was a 6 point 1.5 year old. He finally ran them across the creek and outa site. About a half hour later I had a buck cross behind me, it might have been the same one. I figured I would see how he would react to a light rattle and he did not like that at all!

It started raining pretty good at 10 so I got ready to get down and had a major mishap. While lowering my bow the wet rope slipped and the bow took a nice drop then the rope ran out and the bow popped off the rope and fell the last 5 feet to the ground. When I got back to the yard I shot it and it was all hogged up. I spent an hour getting it back dialed in. Man that was close to a major fail.

The wind is crazy now, hoping to get out tomorrow but depends on wind. I head to Seattle Monday morning of course Monday and Tuesday look fantastic!

10/23 pm 50

Got out for the last 2 hours out back in the far stand. On the way in their were 3 flats in the small field off the tower blind.They caught a wind of me an eased out. Sat in the stand and man the wind died down,. It really dried up the leaves though so they were a bit loud walking. Just at last legal had the little button run in down the ridge in front of me and then soon followed by his tiny mom. They were under/around me for a while. At one point the little button was in the mock and jumping on his hind legs to get up into the licking branch. Then he fell over and got pissed and was kicking the dirt. I was struggling to not bust out laughing!! I stayed up well after dark to let them move outa range to not spook them. I then bumped one out in front of the tower on way in. All alone it was I grunted and scuffed around and such and it did not blow out so that worked.

Off to Seattle in th am early. Be back Wednesday. Good luck out there.

• Like 2

10/26 pm 41

Got down in the deep hole stand for 2 hours. Man it was chilly, quiet and not much going on. I did not even see a squirrel!

I did hear something walking in the thick stuff behind me a bit before 6pm but nothing ever materialized.

10/27 am 34

Out in the far stand this morning for 2 hours. Was spitting snow and a little breezy out. The snow was just a dusting but man I was sure I would see something this morning. I did see a lot of leaves come down with the snow, wind and then sleet/rain.

10/28 am 37

Out back in the far stand for 2 hours. I jumped one two times on the way in. Gotta love all the blowing! Had a yote cruise by and I rushed the shot and missed him at 25 yards.:bad:

A bit later had a 5/6 point come in and work behind me. He went by at 30 yards and was just wandering all over slowly with nose down. It was a real nice morning and I almost called off and stayed in tree but my stupidity won out. I got down to look for arrow. I then hear running deer so I ease up next to a tree and nock an arrow. Doe comes running right at me and stops 25 yards away. She pegs me and is doing the head bob, foot stomp games. I see another cut off to my side. Looks like a forkhorn. She will not leave keeps stepping towards me. I finally move my head back and forth a few times and she still does not leave. After about 15 minutes she turns, blows and runs off. She was pretty small so at least none were any I would have shot.

Top it off the arrow buried and I lost it.

10/28 pm 41

Down in the hole stand for 2.5. Had an old mock from last year opened up. Nice cold night but not crap. Wife texted deer in the back yard.
This spot is real tough early due to corn all over off our prop. Once cut or bucks start running it always has a shooter or two so hard to not sit it.

10/29 am 38

Out in the far stand for 3 hours this morning. Complete opposite than yesterday. Not a hair. After I left yesterday I had a flock of turkeys at 11am, a 4 point at 1:30 pm and an not sure after dark walk past this stand. They were sure moving yesterday.

10/29 pm 61

I spent a while this afternoon scouting some state land found a nice area with a lot of scrapes just not sure how the heck I'd get to it easily.

Hunted an old spot this evening. That went poorly. A lot can grow in a few years! 3 old spots hit and shooting lanes all gone. Got all sweaty hauling around the climber. Saw like 20 scrapes. Sat for last hour all I saw was mosquitos.

• Like 1

10/30 am 50

Out back in the far stand for 3.5 hours.About 8:30 i heard crashing and stood up and grabbed my bow. In ran two little ones. I think the button and tiny doe. Coming behind them was a small buck, then another. I was hoping but he was small too. The doe and fawn took off past the pines but the bucks stopped and wandered around me. Then the two of them headed a different direction than the other two and eased up the creek bottom. That was it.

10/30 pm

Back in the far stand for the last 1.5 hours after the rain let up. I walked into a small buck right after i left the lawn on the way in. Did not see anything from stand.

My brother saw 5 today all flats no shots over on the ridge above the hole.

10/31 am 38

Down in the deep hole stand for 2 hours. The rain stopped just before I headed in. It was quiet walking and leaves dripping all morning. Disapointing sits in this spot so far. Did have a 4 and a 6 on cam and a few does. Nothing big yet but who know what these cams are missing. I need some new ones I can trust.

10/31 pm 42

Out behind the house for 2 hours. At around 5:30 had a nice 1.5 year old buck stroll right in offering all kinds of shots. Tempting since the freezer is bare but still holding out for Daddy.

I was just about ready to pack up and heard something coming. Yote came jogging by. It went by in front too far out then cut around my left closer. I made a mouth squeek and she stopped broadside amazingly in a little clear spot. I guessed it at 40 my max range and hit her perfect. I ranged it after at 43. She ran maybe 40 yards and piled up. Hope to find that arrow after first watch tomorrow. It was to dark to go hogging it all up tonight. She piled up right near my trail in so easy peezy.

• Like 1

11/1 am 30

Out back for 2 hours this morning. Man it was nice and cold and felt like a good morning. While still dark I had another yote or fox cut across right where the one last night did. Saw zero deer. I did see a big flock of turkeys walking out.