To Let The Woods Rest Or To Not Let The Woods Rest

DirtTime

9 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

I won't have a choice looks like I'm closing end of this week either Thursday or Friday, so I'll be putting my stands up and hunting them pretty much the next day..... It is what it is but I'll make it work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you'll do alright.  If I'm remembering it right last year I put a stand up in the middle of the day at lunch, went back to work, got home,  jumped in the stand that evening and shot my first deer ever.  It may have been the day after but either way it was close.  The deer may even come by out of curiosity.

For what it's worth 2 days ago I was building a wood stand with my nephew, sawing, using a screw gun, talking etc. I was standing on the platform we just built and there walking @25 yds to my left a nice young 6 pt. so I think it doesn't much matter. Next day my son saw the same deer in roughly the same spot.

I'm out and about on my property all the time. Was just out there today giving my boys a ride around on the 4 wheeler. I like to ride around on the atv on a pretty regular basis. I feel it gets them used to it. We had a doe and fawn standing 30 yards from us in the field and they just watched us drive by slowly. Didn't run off or get scared they just watched us until we were gone. I think of it as "training" lol.

I've always found deer are much less afraid and less likely to move away from an area if they get used to stuff that doesn't harm them going on pretty regularly.

But with that being said, I also try not to do much in the woods at first light or late evening right before dark. I try to do what I gotta do during the mid day hours when they are most likely bedded down. Seems to have always worked for me in the past.

O and if I can manage to wake my wife up early enough I'm not against having her taxi me to my stand on the 4 wheeler and leave it running until I'm up in the stand. When I guided I always took guys right to the base of the stands with a truck or wheeler if I could. This worked wonders for keeping deer from realizing a human was getting up in a tree.

I'm out and about on my property all the time. Was just out there today giving my boys a ride around on the 4 wheeler. I like to ride around on the atv on a pretty regular basis. I feel it gets them used to it. We had a doe and fawn standing 30 yards from us in the field and they just watched us drive by slowly. Didn't run off or get scared they just watched us until we were gone. I think of it as "training" lol.

I've always found deer are much less afraid and less likely to move away from an area if they get used to stuff that doesn't harm them going on pretty regularly.

But with that being said, I also try not to do much in the woods at first light or late evening right before dark. I try to do what I gotta do during the mid day hours when they are most likely bedded down. Seems to have always worked for me in the past.

O and if I can manage to wake my wife up early enough I'm not against having her taxi me to my stand on the 4 wheeler and leave it running until I'm up in the stand. When I guided I always took guys right to the base of the stands with a truck or wheeler if I could. This worked wonders for keeping deer from realizing a human was getting up in a tree.

My experience on quads is deer don't get spooked untill shut off or stopped seems if you keep moving even slowly they don't even move

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I hung one of my best sets after a morning sit opening day of bow 3 years ago. Set it the same evening and had 17 deer within 100 yards of me. I think the 2 good bucks that were out could smell the fish cut branches or something cause they didn't hang around too long..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk