Why Do You Bowhunt?

Doc

I enjoy wild places and wild animals. I like the challenge of hunting close. The beauty of the Autumn, it's sunrises and sunsets, the colors of the leaves. The deer runing time. It is therapy for my spirit, it slows me down in a world that moves way too fast. .

Man, you've got that right. There is simply not a better day than a crisp fall day with sun shining on those leaves. I don't even have to see a deer to get completely lost in the experience of hunting in those surroundings.

Doc

I didn't own a shotgun when I began hunting.  Only a bow.  So I was sorta forced into using a bow to hunt. I didn't buy a shotgun until three seasons later.  The challenge and slightly nicer weather are all factors in my enjoyment.  Plus I like the sense of solidarity.  Not hearing shots ring out helps to keep me feeling like it's just me and the deer.

• 2 weeks later...

So many reasons...First I got into bow hunting because of a guy we all call the "Great White Hunter"..you know the type...a legend in his own mind and lets everyone know it...to his credit he's manged to get a whole bunch of ppl into bow hunting...Telling ppl years ago that it takes a great hunter to bow hunt and on average 6 years to get a deer but he did it in one...then he'd drive his kill around and stop at every house to show off the "big" rack...ect..ect

I let him drive me nuts for 2 years and then borrowed my Dad in-laws 50yr old Kodiak 45# recurve...got a new string...and shot off the shelf and instinctive...was afraid to shoot the first year and took this guy my 2nd yr...I was hooked...bought a Hoyt compound and have shot a buck every year since except last and took the doe pictured last year...since.... I know of 6 other ppl this guy has driven to bow hunt...

But it is better deer sightings experiance ...can't say challenge because I see so many deer compared to gun....so far I haven't been nearly shot in bow season...safer..knock..knock..knock

It's definatly turned me into a hunting nut! :P:)

i mean the extended season is always a plus, get you in the woods before gun season. The challenge is where its at tho. Not only is shooting out a distance with the bow, its getting those deer in prime bow range being able to get them within and placing a shot. i love the sound the arrow makes on a pass through and the way the deer reacts. i love to watch every step and move the deer takes after the shot, did he tuck his tail did he not? how far did he go on that placed shot, how was the penetration at that distance. theres so many variables that i love about bow hunting. you can learn alot.

started bowhunting at 14 couldn't wait the two extra years to start deer hunting.  that was twenty years ago , big learning curve coming from a gun hunting family.  now I bowhunt for the peace and quite, the challange and the extra time in the woods.

QUIET!!!!!! Have most places to myself. RELAXATION sit in a tree and contemplate nature and the universe. ADVENTURE I see things most others never see. Great Horned Owl preening ten feet away. Last year I'm up in my tree and there's a blow down maple ten yds in front of me. By the root end a chipmunk had a den. He'd come out run halway down the log and stand up to look around then run to the far end and return with cheek pouches full. He did this same routine maybe a dozen times. Then he came out stopped halfway down the log stood up suddenly I catch movement out of the corner of my right eye. Redtail hawk bye bye chipmunk.