Cameras are a curse at times

Jim Droz

No it doesn't .  I've  gotten pics of big bucks within 5 minutes of putting cam on scrape. Think of the state record non typical and typical. Did they have camo? scent loc? cover scents?how about lure or doe urine scent? Heck I bet they didn't  even worry about wind direction. All they had was a gun and red plaid pants and coat.

Hon about those time hand warmers they had to fill with fuel. My grandfather had one ,you could smell that thing 100 yards away. Never stopped him or anyone else who had them from getting deer. Heck I and I would bet many others have had deer in close and even gotten on while smokeing. One of my best bow killed bucks was taken when I had a smoke in my hand.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stubby68 said:

No it doesn't .  I've  gotten pics of big bucks within 5 minutes of putting cam on scrape. Think of the state record non typical and typical. Did they have camo? scent loc? cover scents?how about lure or doe urine scent? Heck I bet they didn't  even worry about wind direction. All they had was a gun and red plaid pants and coat.

Hon about those time hand warmers they had to fill with fuel. My grandfather had one ,you could smell that thing 100 yards away. Never stopped him or anyone else who had them from getting deer. Heck I and I would bet many others have had deer in close and even gotten on while smokeing. One of my best bow killed bucks was taken when I had a smoke in my hand.

I use to have one of those handwarmers when I was a kid and had a trapline. Long time ago. Darn that thing leaked! Lighter fluid all over if you overfilled the pad inside. I can still smell it. Great memories. Thanks for posting.

20 minutes ago, Buckstopshere said:

I use to have one of those handwarmers when I was a kid and had a trapline. Long time ago. Darn that thing leaked! Lighter fluid all over if you overfilled the pad inside. I can still smell it. Great memories. Thanks for posting.

That smell is one of my favorite from my childhood. It brings back so many memmories .As you said that smell never leaves you. My gramps is gone but that warmer still lays on the shelf of our cabin right where he always put it.

Did you ever have one of the fuel stick warmers. I had 4 of them they worked great too. Still had an oder but not as strong. If you lit both ends of the stick they would get so hot you had to set them on a stump to cool off.

• Like 1

I smoke in my tree stand pump gas in my boots and pants ride my quad within a few 100 yards of where I'm hubting go in at first light not any sooner and have seen deer every time I've been out and have very few times a year where I don't. I do try and play the wind and do use scents. I personally think it's more about where you hunt most land I think the deer smell enough human scent that they don't notice the little extra we put in when hunting. I believe getting busted by a deer is more bc of movement or maybe the wrong cover scent used. Not saying it doesn't happen but I don't think scent has as much to do with it as company's lead us to believe

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, stubby68 said:

That smell is one of my favorite from my childhood. It brings back so many memmories .As you said that smell never leaves you. My gramps is gone but that warmer still lays on the shelf of our cabin right where he always put it.

Did you ever have one of the fuel stick warmers. I had 4 of them they worked great too. Still had an oder but not as strong. If you lit both ends of the stick they would get so hot you had to set them on a stump to cool off.

Nope. Never had those. That old metal two-part lighter fuel hand-warmer went inside a felt bag with a drawstring if I remember right. That bag got saturated and if you carried it in your pocket for long it would make your leg itch, because the bag was saturated, but not wet. But it allowed us to play outside in the snow all day. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

I smoke in my tree stand pump gas in my boots and pants ride my quad within a few 100 yards of where I'm hubting go in at first light not any sooner and have seen deer every time I've been out and have very few times a year where I don't. I do try and play the wind and do use scents. I personally think it's more about where you hunt most land I think the deer smell enough human scent that they don't notice the little extra we put in when hunting. I believe getting busted by a deer is more bc of movement or maybe the wrong cover scent used. Not saying it doesn't happen but I don't think scent has as much to do with it as company's lead us to believe

Well the companies are in it to make money, so of course they are going to hype scent control. Buyer beware.  In my opinion, there is a lot more to scent and the olfactory abilities of the whitetail than we know or will ever know. I do know that on some days my bird dogs could not seem to smell a thing. But yet on other days, they could point a live bird while holding another in their mouth on a retrieve. Now how can they smell a live bird, 20 yards away with another hot scented bird in their mouth?

• Like 1

Yep and boy would it itch. Never used any warmers while out playing but kept me warm hunting. The stick had sticks kind of like charcoal you lit one or both ends and placed stick in tin box the size of a wallet that clipped shut. The box was covered with the same red felt as the bag for fuel warmers. It had a small hole in each end to allow air flow. If u lit one end of stick it would get a little warm and last about 6 hours .Both ends got very warm to some times very hot. Would only last about 2 hours with both ends lit. actually I still have 2 of them and a pack of sticks. Might fire them up for old times sake.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

I'm  in my hunting woods all the time on foot or with wheeler or ranger. the deer hear, smell, and see me enough they ne b error give a second thought. My father can not get around good anymore so he drives ranger right to the door of his blind.Always sees deer and always gets a buck. One time we left wheeler in woods when came back for it a big 9 point was liking the seat. too bad it wasn't  season

• Like 2

Cool didn't know that. I might just get one. I always get the hot hands for hunting but Never use them as I do not get cold very often . I am one who likes the cold . colder the better. The kids end up using mine every year. Do you remember the kidney belts that they had for the fuel warmers. wrapped around you and had 2 pockets for warmers the we're over the kiddneys. My gramps and dad loved those things.

• Like 1

Sorry Jim didn't  mean to hijack your thread. I am sure in some areas scent matters. It is a proven fact that the human body produces scent every second so trying to hide or cover it up is usless. Deer use smell as a means to stay alive every day I am sure no matter what we do they can smell us. As long as they do not connect our orders or sounds with danger they ignore it for the most part. Ever hear people tell stories of being in the woods cutting wood and having deer walk right by or start eating branches of downed trees 10 yards from the guy.

Sometimes I think we scare more by sneaking through the woods really quiet with little sent then we do just walking and watching. A person sneaking around looks more dangerous then one just walking through, or moving fast. the deer will just lay there till you pass through unless u step on them.

when I was younger there was an area of state land near by that we would push a couple times a year. some times we would get there and 8 or 10 guys would be coming out. The would tell us no use we j u st pushed the whole thing and saw nothing. there were 3 of us 1 would stand point and 2 would walk. Slow walk stopping every few steps. Deer never ran just got up and moved right to where we wanted them. We always got deer there. Thone guys were fast and loud we were slow and sneaky.

• Like 2