Grim Reaper Fail

beachpeaz

Thanks for the input for those who commented about my situation.  The thread obviously turned to other things as well, which is fine.

I have relived that shot over and over again and am so baffled.

I went back over to the spot this past weekend and walked around for another 2 hours.  Not a drop of blood, hair....or obviously a deer.  They are tough and resilient creatures, so I am sure that he survived and will just be a bigger target next year.

That may have been a fluke and a "perfect storm" situation on the shot, but I'm not taking any chances.  I'm taking my bow into the shop to get tuned (which I do at the beginning of every season), getting new arrows (considering heavier arrows) and will look into fixed broadheads. 

Frustrating!

I can't believe the head is completely gone from the insert.  using with threads it stays with insert or other way around or breaks off leaving a portion in the insert.  arrow breaks because the deer has a set path and the head is solidly in it, so the arrow breaks from being bent on by vegetation or trees.  probably a tree it got close too.  I believe same as some others that you hit elbow or shoulder bone just above it and long before it blades out.  heads apparently still lodged in deer to rip it from the insert like that.  not much for veins on the elbow. did it look hit running away?  unless you had enough energy to break the bone or get into the joint it might not look hit at all.  where you aiming that tight to the elbow aka low heart shot?  if that's the case no broadhead will be any different.

• Like 1

I shot two deer with rage hypodermics and had one arrow pass thru a 6 pt buck and the other was a doe and the arrow was sticking out the other side . The buck shot blade was just slightly bent but not a lot.This was the first time I ever had a pass thru,never had any trouble with rage.

Thanks for the input for those who commented about my situation.  The thread obviously turned to other things as well, which is fine.
I have relived that shot over and over again and am so baffled.
I went back over to the spot this past weekend and walked around for another 2 hours.  Not a drop of blood, hair....or obviously a deer.  They are tough and resilient creatures, so I am sure that he survived and will just be a bigger target next year.
That may have been a fluke and a "perfect storm" situation on the shot, but I'm not taking any chances.  I'm taking my bow into the shop to get tuned (which I do at the beginning of every season), getting new arrows (considering heavier arrows) and will look into fixed broadheads. 
Frustrating!

Which shop?

16 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

I can't believe the head is completely gone from the insert.  using with threads it stays with insert or other way around or breaks off leaving a portion in the insert.  arrow breaks because the deer has a set path and the head is solidly in it, so the arrow breaks from being bent on by vegetation or trees.  probably a tree it got close too.  I believe same as some others that you hit elbow or shoulder bone just above it and long before it blades out.  heads apparently still lodged in deer to rip it from the insert like that.  not much for veins on the elbow. did it look hit running away?  unless you had enough energy to break the bone or get into the joint it might not look hit at all.  where you aiming that tight to the elbow aka low heart shot?  if that's the case no broadhead will be any different.

Like I said, I have been completely baffled.  I did not hit anything between myself and the deer.  100% clear shot.  I watched the arrow hit the deer.  It could have been JUST slightly back further (obviously), but it was not low or high.  It was center cut.  It had to hit just a bit more forward than what it appeared and slammed where the leg bone joins the shoulder scapula.  There is no other explanation. There was about 1" worth of fatty tissue on the arrow so it maybe got 2 - 2" of total penetration on that deer.  I'm shoot a Bear Anarchy (around 340 fps) and the 1 3/4" razor tip reapers and the deer was shot at only 30 yards.  That is a #$%# ton of kinetic energy piling into that deer.  Blows my mind.  It's hunting!  What else can you say.  I'm just trying to come up with some ideas to make sure I don't repeat that again in the future.

30 yards isn't real close and lungs honestly aren't that big when you factor in angled shots.  I back off the shoulder a little when it's further away.  more room for error with lungs to the rear of the heart than in in front.  not as important when quartering away as the leg bone is out of the way more.  just what I do.  bone is pretty rugged even more so on a 4.5+ yr old doe or buck that at or close to full skeletal growth.  the leg and shoulder bone can take a hard hit, even more so if the deer were moving away or had less weight on the leg so it gave when hit too I'd imagine.  you're not the only one it's happened to.  with longer shots allow some room for error by changing shot placement but not too far back.  that'd be my input.

• Like 1

Like I said, I have been completely baffled.  I did not hit anything between myself and the deer.  100% clear shot.  I watched the arrow hit the deer.  It could have been JUST slightly back further (obviously), but it was not low or high.  It was center cut.  It had to hit just a bit more forward than what it appeared and slammed where the leg bone joins the shoulder scapula.  There is no other explanation. There was about 1" worth of fatty tissue on the arrow so it maybe got 2 - 2" of total penetration on that deer.  I'm shoot a Bear Anarchy (around 340 fps) and the 1 3/4" razor tip reapers and the deer was shot at only 30 yards.  That is a #$%# ton of kinetic energy piling into that deer.  Blows my mind.  It's hunting!  What else can you say.  I'm just trying to come up with some ideas to make sure I don't repeat that again in the future.

If your bow isn't perfectly paper tuned the #$%# ton of energy you have is not transferred to the broadhead. It is even made worse by fast bows and large heads. KI of an arrow is measured as a best case scenario, if you're arrow is flying true all that energy is going to whip your arrow to the side upon impact. As I said earlier I do not think the head failed. I would love to see the paper after you shoot through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F20161117%2Fd275ab50006563b58c0c32e86c1e206f.jpg&key=7f32ea976adb5e44e804033d66a0b0ac2015f75d882459ff2ca3470cce932f92this is my grim from my deer today turned the lungs to mush but I'm not sure it opened fully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. From my understanding because of the springs on the reapers they often appear not to have open but are actually closing after the shot bc of the spring tension

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk