Venison sopresatta

pt0217

Wow.  Good luck.  Have you started the process yet? 

I made duck prosciutto a few years ago that was very good.  

I ordered the stuff online. Casings, curing salt, yeast. I'm going to start right after the holidays. Says it takes eight weeks to cure.
Is the prosciutto smoked?

I made it before, when I had a processing business. It was good, I used a mixture of venison & pork, but wasn't as good as just pork sopressata. Biggest thing to remember is STUFF THE CASINGS AS TIGHT AS POSSIBLE WITHOUT BREAKING THEM, and make sure you get the right humidity, or they will not dry properly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pt0217 said:

I ordered the stuff online. Casings, curing salt, yeast. I'm going to start right after the holidays. Says it takes eight weeks to cure.
Is the prosciutto smoked?

Nice.  Do you have a curing fridge?  Or something  that regulates temperature and humidity? 

The prosciutto is not smoked. just needs to be salted. Then air dried.  I think I followed a recipe of Field & Stream if I recall correctly. It's beginners level charcuterie.  

Keep this thread alive with the process. I've always been interested in curing meats. 

Edited by diplomat019

Nice.  Do you have a curing fridge?  Or something  that regulates temperature and humidity? 

The prosciutto is not smoked. just needs to be salted. Then air dried.  I think I followed a recipe of Field & Stream if I recall correctly. It's beginners level charcuterie.  

Keep this thread alive with the process. I've always been interested in curing meats. 

I don't. I am going to hang it in the basement between the bilco door and inner door to basement. I've read temps around 50 degrees for 8 weeks. I'm using synthetic casing and curing salts as well as a starter culture. They say those things help make it a little more forgiving

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, pt0217 said:

Making mine tomorrow. Adding 25% pork. That's the same ratio East Fishkill provisions uses for their pepperoni. I will add pictures tomorrow

I would up that ratio of pork, venison is very lean and i always go with an approx. 50/50 ratio. Good luck and post some pictures.

3c40cc2de719f0da44a9b25e32db0207.jpg

3ba428cad912a212302274fcbb4bc25d.jpg

63e90d1fa9ccbd16b71a627db1d2f06b.jpg

a18f3feb9f0c03b0ebd474e25e412282.jpg

Everything is in the smoker. 15 lbs of venison. Total product was 32 lbs. I used around 6 lbs of pork plus 5 lbs of fat back. Fresh, unsalted. I cooked some up to taste. It had a good flavor. Very salty but I'm guessing that is to be expected. Gonna smoke it until midnight. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

cf4d1cc4dda8e703bae09ed753bc6fcd.jpg

• Like 2

36e970d4b7bac8001052e44508c68fc8.jpg
I got everything hung this morning. I wish this app had smellivision. The smokey smell is awesome. I layed 2 in foam insulation on top to keep the cold air from outside.
I put a plug in mouse repeller in the room and a cheap thermometer and humidity gauge. I should be able to control temp by opening or closing the interior basement door.
I also said a prayer that the hot water heater lasts through the winter so I don't have to take this thing apart.