Thorns annihilating my clothing!

Yet another gear thread! I didn't much care when my $30 Walmart pants (great pants btw, used them many times) took the occasional cut from thorns but in the past month I bought some much nicer waterproof ("hydroproof") pants and also some muck boots (basically stole them and couldn't resist the price). I love both pairs of gear but thorns I cannot avoid where I hunt are trashing my gear in very short order.

For the pants I see some iron on patches online. Are these the best way to sort these out? Are there any preventative measure I can take short of sewing on a slab of leather to the lower leg of the pants? I assume the waterproof is out the window with patches but oh well.

Is there anything I can do with the boots other than shoe-goo some of the holes (they haven't yet pierced the rubber, but they are going to soon I am sure)? I can't always wear the pants over the top of the boot (this would protect it), and I know a pure leather boot would withstand these thorns like a boss, but now that I have experienced the joy of being able to dunk my foot in deep water without getting wet I doubt I could ever go back to another "hiking" type hunting boot. Is there some sort of a tape or cover that would wrap around them? This is obviously why the la crosse aeroforms have a bunch of rubber on the front, to avoid this precise complaint.

Thornpants.JPG

Thornboots.JPG

Edited by Core

May sound funny but some of the older guys I hunt with use a pair of chaps to protect their clothing and skin. There are some nasty areas when we do drives and a few swamps so the chaps are a must unless you want to be shredded like cheese on a grater. 

As far as patches, I would think they would work fine. Spray the patch job with a little waterproof sealant after it is applied. Not sure on the boots but the shoo goo may work. Let us know what you figure out for future reference. 

I always wear my hunting pants over the top of my muck boots if I plan on getting into the multi flora rose bushes and prickers, which are just about everywhere unless I'm on my mowed trails or in a food plot! I'm still working on what to get for a new pair of bibs that will hold up to the thorns and shed the stick tights and burdocks. I never had these problems hunting the hardwoods of the southern tier but back up here in the overgrown fields and swamp edges of Wayne county it is a constant struggle.

Some good ideas. Next pair of pants will have to be briarproof. I love the bib-style of my recent pants, makes me tons warmer not worrying about air coming up the back. 

Some ass-less chaps actually look like they would sort me out nicely, protecting the top of my boots and also function for any pants I buy. As EJ said, in Wayne county it's nothing but damn thorns every freaking where.

There are also some very well recommended gaiters from amazon, these would wrap around the boots and my lower legs. they wouldn't go as high as chaps, though.

Edited by Core