SKS Stock Upgrade

I have an old Russian SKS military rifle that I have been playing around with and with the cheap ammo that is available for this thing I have been getting to do a lot of shooting and must say this is one fun rifle, totally reliable and reasonably accurate. The thing I could not stand is the garbage standard stock that comes on them, "CHEESY" is the one word that describes it best and it is way too short for me.

My SKS what is called a refurb rifle meaning after being in service it was sent back to a Russian armory and any worn parts were replaced and the gun returned to new condition. Bottom line these refurbs no longer have matching serial numbers on all their parts so their collector value is limited and makes them good for personal customization. For me the el cheeso stock had to go, I  decided on a Tapco laminated sporter stock based on reviews that it received from folks that tried them. Basically a drop in but there was a bit of minor fitting that had to be done. With the bayonet removed and the new stock on the old SKS looks modern and the stock feels and fits me great. Other than being overly heavy these SKS rifles are a panic.

Al

001_zpsoi9trgoi.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

OOOOOO !!  I LIKE laminate....My workhorse push feed M70  in .280 has a brown laminate stock...While I love walnut, I think some of the laminates are very attractive also..  They also don't show the dings as much as walnut..Mine has suffered hard use ( and abuse) in several wilderness areas, sometimes for two weeks at a time,  but unless you look VERY close, it could pass as a new gun.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2016 at 9:12 AM, Pygmy said:

OOOOOO !!  I LIKE laminate....My workhorse push feed M70  in .280 has a brown laminate stock...While I love walnut, I think some of the laminates are very attractive also..  They also don't show the dings as much as walnut..Mine has suffered hard use ( and abuse) in several wilderness areas, sometimes for two weeks at a time,  but unless you look VERY close, it could pass as a new gun.

Laminate is more stable too., but it ain't as purdy.