Food plot options

So thanks to @growalot I picked up some Plot spike food plot mix (description below) for $9/bag also grabbed a bag of Biologic Last bite for $9 all a pretty good price. Now both bags suggest planting in the fall the plot spike is mostly Oates but has forage rape, clover, and austrian winter peas, and the other is a clover brassica mix. Would it hurt to plant these in the spring when there is a little more moisture in the ground. The area I'm planting is on a hill and will be cleared of trees for the most part. I haven't decided if I'm going to make 2 smaller 1/2 acre plots or just one big 1 acre plot in the center of my 40 acres. I have never planted Oates in the spring so I don't know if there is any harm in doing so. Also would 2 plots be better than one larger one? The nearest ag field is about 1 mile away and I have some good bedding areas on my property that hold deer.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

I don't see the harm in planting either in the spring.  The worst that could happen is that the oats and brassicas get too mature.  If you have good deer density, the deer would help with that by keeping them browsed down.  

My vote would be to plant 2 smaller plots instead of 1 bigger one.  I'd plant the clover/brassica mix in one, then fall plant the other with the oats mix.  The nice thing about having 2 plots is you can try 2 different approaches and see what works for you.  I'm not sure there is a "right" answer to your questions.  

Another option is to plant the oats this spring, and frost seed in some extra clover next spring.  I would be tempted to throw in some extra clover seed into the Plot Spike mix.  The oats, peas and rapeseed (annuals) will be gone next year, and you will be left with the clover next year.

Hope this gives you some options to consider.

I had what the farmer behind me said when deciding to plant the Plot Spike this spring. He has his field in strips All started in corn as a weed killer. One year in corn and then he would leave a strip to plant a spring oats and clover mix or a mixed hay. Then the following year he would leave another strip next to the first. Now last year was the last strip left and he had his spring oats and clover in there,no more corn. He told me that the deer just hammered his oats.

I have planted Tritical in the spring and the deer really hit it, with the clovers and peas you should have good success I may toss in a bit more clover and perhaps some chicory...The rape will get hit early but if not mowed will get "woody" and blossom...Oh boy rape readily reseeds.I like my turkeys, so deer are not the only consideration when planting...the turkey will love it...unfortunately sometimes way too much and I loose a lot of seed...thus the addition of more clover and chicory...They also love oats when they seed out.

Yeah both plots would be annual. I bought 2 bags of the plot spike so I might make a 3rd 1/2 acre plot do one in the spring, and the other 2 in the fall like the bag says. Next year I will be able to plant 2 of them to prennial brassica and clover then maybe try other things in the 3rd until I find something that the deer really like.

11 minutes ago, growalot said:

I had what the farmer behind me said when deciding to plant the Plot Spike this spring. He has his field in strips All started in corn as a weed killer. One year in corn and then he would leave a strip to plant a spring oats and clover mix or a mixed hay. Then the following year he would leave another strip next to the first. Now last year was the last strip left and he had his spring oats and clover in there,no more corn. He told me that the deer just hammered his oats.

I have planted Tritical in the spring and the deer really hit it, with the clovers and peas you should have good success I may toss in a bit more clover and perhaps some chicory...The rape will get hit early but if not mowed will get "woody" and blossom...Oh boy rape readily reseeds.I like my turkeys, so deer are not the only consideration when planting...the turkey will love it...unfortunately sometimes way too much and I loose a lot of seed...thus the addition of more clover and chicory...They also love oats when they seed out.

I have a ton of turkey sign on the property, I was thinking about planting cereal rye in a 4th plot just to leave as cereal rye for the  turkey. At this point in time I am trying to concentrate on deer but the turkey have been roosting about 30 yards from the house and tearing up the ground for forage all over. I would imagine some of it is also deer activity.

Almost every spring turkey I have ever shot has had clover leaves in its crop.  The only thing that compares for drawing turkeys is a cut corn field.  Then again, they like any ground that has been turned over.  Last year they got into the brassica plot I planted and dug it full of holes to dust and wallow in.  They are all over the trail camera, and I see them whenever I deer hunt, but I've never shot a bird there.  Go figure.

• Like 1

With the warm temps it could also be skunk and crow grubbing ...but yes the turkey here have been pretty active as well. WR won't usually head out if planted in the spring..mine hasn't but you can do spring tillage..which is a oat pea or a spring tritical pea combos, spring wheat. Hit the Welter site and they have good explanations on these.  You can pick them up locally at ag places. They will be putting orders in soon so ask now to find this years pricing and see about adding to the order if you want..

just have to be careful of competition from weeds but it'll grow.  the oats should grow quick to prevent any erosion if you've got any plots that aren't flat.  you should be fine.

it's easy to default to things like clover or alfalfa, but unless it's an ag field plant something that's not around.  all deer have different pallets.

this is true deer will eat all different types of clover. even if a different variety of clover that'll work though is good.  seems like the damn things around here even change what they like year to year.  i like to give the deer options otherwise to keep them to hang around a much as possible.

• Like 1

So true on that...which is why I plant so many small areas...We are farm country..so it's corn and WW,oats, Alfalfa and clovers. Unfortunately and yes I wonder if it isn't partly my fault but soy beans. We have 3 major crop farmers in the areas one raising beef as well...but several years ago I asked the biggest and closest to me about soybeans. I had already had success with them but was looking for weed remedies. He not knowing  I was planting them said Soybeans ,It is just too rocky and unsuitable soil for soybeans here. I said really? Mine do great. 40 inches tall and full of beans...the next season he put in a few acres of "test seed". He does this near his storage/mechanics ,office area...Now soybeans are everywhere!..Could and with out a doubt be market driven ...but I do wonder if I put the bug in his ear...lol

Anyways that was one of the "off " crops I plant...I'm still about the only one around with brassicas,there are some farm buckwheat on occasion,the only Hemp and now iron clay peas,burnett , chicory, trefoil. I tried sainfoil but it didn't grow at all and on well fertilized good soil. Deer just won't allow the sun flowers...and I'm not fencing, The sweet grasses are a hit as well. I'm always on the look out for different things...I did have Knaff and the deer kept it from growing, so it was a hit but in the sun flower category. Vetches may be in the future and corn will get a break ...until the farmers do their rotation into complete clover Alfalfa again for a year or two.

10 minutes ago, growalot said:

With the warm temps it could also be skunk and crow grubbing ...but yes the turkey here have been pretty active as well. WR won't usually head out if planted in the spring..mine hasn't but you can do spring tillage..which is a oat pea or a spring tritical pea combos, spring wheat. Hit the Welter site and they have good explanations on these.  You can pick them up locally at ag places. They will be putting orders in soon so ask now to find this years pricing and see about adding to the order if you want..

Good to hear. I was hoping that if I plant in the spring it will establish enough to last the winter. I didn't think it would head out before winter but was thinking maybe it would be really early in the spring. My plan was to mow down the wheat that did go to head after it dried in hopes it re-seeds for the next year.

When grown as a winter cover crop, winter rye can be planted well into October.
When planting for fall forage, plant two to eight weeks earlier than if planting for
grain to maximize growth or wh
en sowing with hairy vetch to allow vetch time to
become established.
Winter rye can also be planted in the spring as a companion crop or early forage,
but will not produce grain due to the lack of vernalization. It will also be less
vigorous and not grow
as tall

Edited by growalot

Here is the description I forgot to add to the first post.

FORAGE FEAST

GIVE DEER ON YOUR PLOT A FEAST FIT FOR A KING

The premier way to attract and hold deer on your plot. This premium blend of large-seed plants is free of any fillers or chemicals, and it features our exclusive Forage Oats along with smaller grains, premium forage rape, clover and Austrian winter peas.

With quick germination and great performance in a wide range of soil conditions, the blend is one you can trust to yield an abundant, nutritious food supply. Plus, it responds well to high-nitrogen fertilizer for even more robust production. Truly, Forage Feast is one of the best, most luxurious plot seed blends available today. A 40 lb. bag of Forage Feast plants ½ acre

Not sure what you meant to quote, it's blank. I assume the Winter rye post, BTW I didn't mean to put in bold like that and then it wouldn't undo. Oates will grow fine and head out...the WR or a WR which if I recall is also in the blend "small grains" won't ...but that's not a bad thing for it will still act as a nurse crop for clovers and great bugging for turkey..I won't grow as tall but will still be good cover for poults and feed. The deer will bed in it. Either way spring or fall  it's 44 cents a #! even if the turkey's came in and ate it all...I'm still ahead of the game  with fatter turkeys that will want to hang around...there is no down side to this :good::D

21 minutes ago, growalot said:

Not sure what you meant to quote, it's blank. I assume the Winter rye post, BTW I didn't mean to put in bold like that and then it wouldn't undo. Oates will grow fine and head out...the WR or a WR which if I recall is also in the blend "small grains" won't ...but that's not a bad thing for it will still act as a nurse crop for clovers and great bugging for turkey..I won't grow as tall but will still be good cover for poults and feed. The deer will bed in it. Either way spring or fall  it's 44 cents a #! even if the turkey's came in and ate it all...I'm still ahead of the game  with fatter turkeys that will want to hang around...there is no down side to this :good::D

Yeah sorry it wouldn't show up. No biggy I knew what you meant. Yeah I can't complain we have sown wheat into Timothy before and it seeded fine not that it was a huge crop but did a lot better than we figured.

• Like 1

Forage Rape (Brassica napus): This variety of forage rape is very tolerant of a myriad of conditions.

It is tolerant of cold, heat and drought and matures in 30-90 days.

It is generally planted in mid to late July. The dwarf types are best when using them as deer lure for hunting plots.

They are more palatable earlier in the growth phase.

I started out many years ago planting buckwheat and over planting rape seed in with it in the spring...I had great success with the deer using both. This considering it was something completely foreign to them. That said I also found out just how hard it is to kill rape...mine not only reseeded but regrew in the spring from the original plants! I hit it with round up , mowed it down ...it was like a dandelion.  So I shied away from it after...this, I will not worry about for these plantings. but mowing will control it.