Crazy price ranges out there....

Once she sends me the invoice and I get it finalized. Their web site doesn't have the ordering on line installed yet. So I had to call. She,'ll send by e mail an invoice. Then a secure link for payment. They won't take cards over the phone. Once I see things go smoothly,confident with our conversation, I post it up.

BTW Hancock...in the specials has a pretty good blend on Sale  clovers and alfalfa  with free shipping good price.

Well the invoice arrived payment made ,tracking # given...UPS so we'll see how fast and how well shipped then of course weighing...for yes ,stickler that I am, I weigh every thing when it comes in...I have been pleased with over weights by Petcher,Welter and Handcock seeds. On small seed an over weight can add up.

• Like 1

growalot, I've starting looking at the Whitetail Institute blends. Would you know if there exists, or if it is possible to make, a chart of equivalent blends from other seed blend sellers? Likewise, how hard would it be to "make your own" copycat blend? On the other hand, it it worth doing? I'm probably looking at $350 worth (3-1/2 acres) of Whitetail Institute seed blends, and probably could get that down using coupons or sales given the they can be bought in various stores. From a quality perspective, would you have a strong opinion on varying quality for comparable blends from different companies? 

OK I'm nice but I'm not making a chart :wink:

Yes my first "copy cat " blend was the extreme and it cost less with some very good seed... I depends on the blend and pricing. The thing one needs to remember is, All seed blends and this includes the wht tail blends, are only as good as the soils they are in. So I prefer to put my $$ into the soil not necessarily the seed. This is why I will go with a $8 40# bag of plot shot  over a full priced bag of say Wht tail or Tecomate. They really aren't going to do any more than the other if my soil doesn't have the nutrients nor the plants the ability to take up the nutrients. If your plants do not take up as much nutrients as possible in their growth cycle...the animals eating them aren't either.

That said there is  a difference in plant structure that will make one  more desirable than another due to plant Breeding as it were.  So lots of reading can guide you through this. Though I know what the deer are eating here and the extreme variety of their diet so I concentrate on not only feed value and preference but what is that crop going to do for my soils..Every thing has to have more than one purpose for my $$ and time. 

Now I don't know what you plan on planting from wht tail but here is what I can show you from Hancock that is a pretty fair blend and it gives seeding rates...Remember rates are a bit subjective...I always plan on a high seeding ..weather bugs birds all factor in and seed viability...All clovers aren't equal some hard seeded clovers (reseeding annuals) will have a certain amount of seed lay dormant for over a year before sprouting...again things to read up on. Now if you look at seeds in blend,no shipping and no taxes then divide 25# into 89.99 your looking at a straight 3.60 a #...I think that's not bad at all. You just have to look around.

Hancock's Killer Clover Mix - 25 lb Bag

$109.99  $89.99
Save: 18% off

Always Free Shipping

Add to Cart: Add to Cart proceed-to-checkout-arrow.png
  • Shipping Weight: 25lbs

Estimate Shipping

Hancock's Killer Clover Seed Mix -  Our customers have been asking us for a clover mixture for years and this one won't disappoint!  Our clover mixture was designed to be a long- lasting, high protein blend of perennial and reseeding annual clovers with alfalfa to produce high-quality forage throughout the season.  Hancock's Killer Clover Mixture will thrive where most others will not even under heavy grazing.  Our  mix is cold tolerant and will surely draw the deer in for years to come with only 1 application!  Proper fertilization and maintenance is required for the longevity of this food plot.  Hancock's Killer Clover Mix can last up to 4 years plus.

Hancock's Killer Clover Mix is designed to grow bigger bucks and attract larger deer.  This mix provides on average 25-30% crude protein which equals bigger bucks, a healthier herd and more offspring.  For a herd to thrive and survive, bucks, doe and fawn alike all require high protein nutrition year around.  For your convenience, we have this available in 5lbs. (1/2 acre), 10lbs. (1 acre) and 25lbs. (2 acre) sizes.

Mixture Contains:
•    30% Crimson Clover
•    30% Ladino Grazing Clover
•    30% Arrowleaf Clover
•    10% Alfalfa

Planting Rate: 10-15 lbs. per acre
Planting Time: Spring or Fall
pH: 5.5 - 7.5
Fertilizer: 10-10-10 300 lbs per acre
Seed Depth: 1/4 inch
Inoculant: Pre- Inoculated
****Mix is Scarified and Pre-Inoculated****

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

I broke this up due to "rambling"  if you were to take  those 4 seeds in that blend and go say 10# each it would break down to this..mined you not sure which clover ladino they actually used and inoculation adds a little weight... but you'll notice pricing is about the same:  add and divide by 40# If you go to 25# bags each it gets cheaper

arrow..39.99

crimson...39.99

Ladino...59.99

Alfalfa....59.99

• Like 1

Here's one more thing to consider when making your own mix...nutrient values diminish once your plants start to set flowers /seed. Now I mow to combat weeds..but annual clovers need to set seed to continue their cycle into the following season...not all annual clovers are equal in seed set and mow wrong time ..you get my point...but not all clovers flower seed at the same time, so look into early/ late flowering combinations.

• Like 1

Thanks, grow. I will first lay out the Whitetail institute blends I want as a baseline, and then put some time into finding alternatives like the one you showed below.

Dealing with a clover field so that it yields the following year (while keeping the weeds in check) sounds a little tricky to me. i will need to work on that part. 

Thanks for taking the time to lay out the above info.

• Like 1

Placed a order this morning for 10lbs of cabelas branded clover and 5lbs of the cabelas brand chicory. With a couple gift cards I was only out 20 bucks. I was going to get a 9lb bag of WI Fusion but ended up going with the cabelas seed. Got more seed for the same price. Hoping it is decent seed, very few reviews on the website but the few that were there were positive.

The deer hammered my Fusion plot last year. I think the chicory was a big draw as they ate all of it to the ground before hammering the clover. I figured if I went with the cabelas brand clover I could save a few bucks and get a bigger bag of chicory to go a little heavier on that this year. Going to frost seed this stuff. Hoping it works out. Still need to open one more field for a fall planting. More on that later

• Like 2

On 2/9/2017 at 6:55 PM, goosifer said:

Thanks, grow. I will first lay out the Whitetail institute blends I want as a baseline, and then put some time into finding alternatives like the one you showed below.

Dealing with a clover field so that it yields the following year (while keeping the weeds in check) sounds a little tricky to me. i will need to work on that part. 

Thanks for taking the time to lay out the above info.

Well, I took the easy way out. Gander Mountain had a 20% off coupon code (again), I bought a gift card at 10% off, and I got a 3% kickback from Mr. Rebates. All in, I paid less than $150 for six different seed blends covering 3-1/2 acres.I got blends from Tecomate, Evolved harvest, and Antler King. (I can list the exact ones if anyone cares.) I tried to get different ones, so I can experiment and see which ones work the best for me. We'll see.