I'm making the switch

Buckmaster7600

Work up a load starting with 50 grains of powder.. When you hear a Sharp crack your there.. 75 to 95 grains is about average depending on barrel length.. Too much and you just burn it outside of the barrel. As for range 50 cal will kill at 150 yards no problem if you can Use and see the iron sights that well.. I switched to a vernier tang peep on my left handed great plains.. Can keep. 3 in group at 100 yards with it.

Muzzleloader seasons were originally enacted to allow those that wanted to take the time to learn the craft opportunities to hunt unpressured game with out a lot of competition from modern fire arms. Sadly, that is no longer the case.I no longer bother. 16 years ago we couldn't shoot bucks in the early season here. Now we can't shoot does! I put away my muzzle loaders after the 2001 season.

Even as a guy with a modern inline ML (scoped TC Pro Hunter) I would be all about the ML season going primitive, like Pennsylvania. I think it would be a blast, pun intended.
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Even as a guy with a modern inline ML (scoped TC Pro Hunter) I would be all about the ML season going primitive, like Pennsylvania. I think it would be a blast, pun intended.

I would like to see a "primitive weapons" season. Flintlock or percussion sidelock or underhammer designs. Patched round ball. granulated powder. Also allow long bows & recurves with wood arrows and fixed blade broadheads. Open it for the last week of December, first week of January.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2017 at 11:39 AM, wildcat junkie said:

Muzzleloader seasons were originally enacted to allow those that wanted to take the time to learn the craft opportunities to hunt unpressured game with out a lot of competition from modern fire arms. Sadly, that is no longer the case.I no longer bother. 16 years ago we couldn't shoot bucks in the early season here. Now we can't shoot does! I put away my muzzle loaders after the 2001 season.

Yup.  That's why some western states make it illegal to hunt with magnified optics.  Where I hunt mule deer in Utah during ML season, you have to use open sights or a non-magnifying scope.  So, regardless of the ML you have, it keeps the season challenging.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beachpeaz said:

Yup.  That's why some western states make it illegal to hunt with magnified optics.  Where I hunt mule deer in Utah during ML season, you have to use open sights or a non-magnifying scope.  So, regardless of the ML you have, it keeps the season challenging.

Without modern optics there would be no advantage for inlines over the traditional weapons at ethical iron sight ranges. Even with round balls, my .54 flint and percussion rifles are perfectly adequate out to 150 yds and I have taken 3 whitetails cleanly at those range shooting from an improvised rest or with my back against.a tree and t my elbows wedged against my knees. All 3 were complete pass-throughs.

For larger game a ,58 or .62 with round balls would do or full bore sized lead conicals could be used in a .54.

• Like 1

Without modern optics there would be no advantage for inlines over the traditional weapons at ethical iron sight ranges. Even with round balls, my .54 flint and percussion rifles are perfectly adequate out to 150 yds and I have taken 3 whitetails cleanly at those range shooting from an improvised rest or with my back against.a tree and t my elbows wedged against my knees. All 3 were complete pass-throughs.
For larger game a ,58 or .62 with round balls would do or full bore sized lead conicals could be used in a .54.

Even if it's raining?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2017 at 7:34 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

Even if it's raining?

On 3/14/2017 at 6:10 PM, wildcat junkie said:

On 3/14/2017 at 7:34 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

Even if it's raining?

Black powder substitutes are my hygroscopic, and with a few exceptions more corrosive than real black powder. With a side or under hammer percussion lock, the nipple can be screwed in with thread sealer and clear fingernail polish will seal the cap on the nipple A tightly patched round ball will seal the bore better than any conical can.

I would say that a traditional percussion rifle loaded and prepped thus loaded with real black powder would be even mnore moisture proof than a "modern" inline loaded with conical bullets and black powder substitutes..