• not buyin into it
    • been there done that..i understand

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the link erussell. nice synopsis but i would still like to see the article itself guess i need to find one to buy. But i agree that most people usuing the qdm moniker are really trying to do trophy deer management.(i know nyantler feels qdm is not about big bucks but about helping the deer herd)unfortunatly he and i are in the minority. I have use a form of management i like to call total deer management it has allowed my group to take 281 deer off our hunting area since 1993 of which 79 were antlered buck. a side effect of this is we also take at least 1 pope n young class buck a year. Not to bad in my opinion for 10 guys that like to hunt!

I think he wrote what the silent majority don't express.. they hunt for the hunt not a "trophy". Or in simple terms one man's trash"smaller bucks" are another man's treasure or in this case trophy! I just seems the big vocal group are the guys and the company's that are trying to profit or build a career out of big buck hunting. Kind of like the lobbiests in washington pushing their agenda. I am not for antler restrictions as i said in other forums, I'f you bought a licence and are happy with it shoot it! Just don't complain if someone gets something bigger or with more points..its as much your right to shoot whats legal as it is for someone to wait/pass up bucks in hopes of somthing bigger! Don't force your opinion/reasons on others, or try to degrade their choice or accomplishment, everone should have the right to chose their own trophy! After all thats why they call it hunting !!

Ive never heard a complaint from a doe taker or a rookie..it somehow seems the seasoned vetrans to be the ones who pick apart the deer that are taken..yes antler..i take my deer to feed my family..my one and only deer i took is gone already..and im glad i got that..rarely got a look on a doe..hardly a good shot on one..id be in more trouble with the ol lady if i spent my avg of $300 a yr  and came home empty handed..im happy with my lil8..just not happy people even think to look at it as pitaful..especcially the guy with the garage full of antlers..

I dont think its a thing of picking apart a deer from a seasoned hunter.I know for me its a choice.When i started hunting i was balls to the wall shooting anything that was brown.A few years later it was not so much the numbers it was shooting bucks only.Next it was shooting does only and now its pretty much take a doe or two for the family and only bucks that are mature deer with racks that i would put on the wall,not the garage..It all comes with age and the number of deer taken in your life i believe.For me i have more satisfaction looking down at a doe then looking down at a yearling and seeing a skinny neck,thin body and spindly rack.But thats by choice.I sure wouldnt want to be in a position where i had to take game to feed the family,Them days are long gone.

I know quite a few local families that hunt to put food on the plate, maybe not a years worth of venison but food none the less, and i would bet there are a lot more than i know. I kind of though the same thing untill i moved out to the middle of nowhere there are a lot of locals that need/depend on venison.  It seems to be one of the big city vs locals sticking points...locals shoot.. brown its down/ city guys want the bigger buck and get upset to see a little 6 at the processers. Fact is that deer maybe feeding someone's family. Fortunatly i'm in a position that i don't need wild game to feed my family, but i learned its not right to judge/belittle someone else as you do not normally have the whole story if you will..

If you're feeding your family by hunting and you pay $300 a year to hunt.. you might want to do the math... it would be cheaper to by meat at the grocery store...

I'm not so sure about that, I guess if you included the price of gear and really were to total it up maybe, but keep in mind the average American consumes about 200 pounds of meat each year. Multiply that by an average family size of four and you are up to 800 pounds of meat, now lets take say 200 pounds off and dedicate that to venison. Ok so we are going to guess the average cost of that venison is $300 as you sugested, that works out to $1.50 a pound providing you cut it and package it all yourself as I do. Now lets guess the average price per pound of beef, ground goes for @$$3-4 a pound and choice cuts of steak can be $18-20 a pound..suddenly venison sounds cheaper then beef does it not?

At my house we do not eat beef untill the venison is gone, and we rarely eat beef the rest of the year, so by my logic hunting for venison is still cheaper than shopping for beef.