Mossberg 500/535 - Travel Broken Down?

I suspect this may seem like a dumb question, but...  I just picked up a new Mossberg 535 (Turkey/Waterfowl Combo).  I drive a small vehicle (old Jeep), not much room.  I like breakdown guns because they are easier to transport.  Is there any issue with taking the barrel off and just carrying this gun in a short soft case with slip pockets?  Should I get a bolt the same thread as the magazine cap and put it in when traveling?  

Thanks for indulging me.  First pump shotgun I've ever owned.

jmark

28 minutes ago, jmark said:

Should I get a bolt the same thread as the magazine cap and put it in when traveling?  

jmark

not sure what you mean there,

but my brother breaks his Bellini  every time he's never had an issue with accuracy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rachunter said:

not sure what you mean there,

but my brother breaks his Bellini  every time he's never had an issue with accuracy.

I'm not sure what I mean, either. :)

I guess I was just thinking, on the Mossberg, with the barrel off, the magazine end cap is off.  I suppose the spring could fall out or something?  I was thinking of just putting a bolt in there loosely just to cap the magazine end.  

isn't there a cap there already that holds the spring in? i haven't had a 500 in years so i don't remember.someone with one will let you now.

i just checked my 835 it has a cap or what ever it's called holding the spring in.

Edited by rachunter
to add info

1 hour ago, jmark said:

The screw thingy that comes with it seems to be permanently part of the barrel

The "screw thingy" should be separate of the barrel and not part of the barrel. For what you are trying to accomplish I would un-screw it, remove the barrel and put the cap back on the magazine tube WITH THE spring retainer. When you are ready to use it remove the cap & ring, attach the barrel and reinstall the cap & ring to keep the barrel in place.

You might want to read the owners manual that should have come with the gun.

mossberg.jpg

Edited by Steve D

The "screw thingy" should be separate of the barrel and not part of the barrel. For what you are trying to accomplish I would un-screw it, remove the barrel and put the cap back on the magazine tube WITH THE spring retainer. When you are ready to use it remove the cap & ring, attach the barrel and reinstall the cap & ring to keep the barrel in place.
You might want to read the owners manual that should have come with the gun.
mossberg.jpg

I think 535's are like the 500's and its a screw that holds the barrel on not a cap like others. If it is the screw it stays on the barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I think 535's are like the 500's and its a screw that holds the barrel on not a cap like others. If it is the screw it stays on the barrel.

Correct.  The screw cap stays on the barrel.  That's the issue (if there is one).  Should I cap the magazine in any way if transporting broken down? 

IMG_3555.JPG

You could be right...some of the older ones did have the screw that stayed with the barrel. Looking at the picture closer the 590 & 835 have the cap and the,500,505, 510, and the 535 have the take down screw. I know on my semi Mossberg the spring can't come out with the cap off because a retainer keeps it in place. The only way the spring can be removed is on the receiver end from the magazine tube.

15 minutes ago, Steve D said:

I see now but does your spring come out when you on screw the barrel?

Well, it doesn't just fall out, no.  I haven't really tried to coax it out.  I don't think it will be a problem... just don't want to screw the gun up, as we are counting on it for turkey season.

FWIW, here's an illustration.  Broken down, I can get the gun in a 36 inch case.  Assembled, it will require a 42", even with the short barrel.  Makes a difference in my circumstances. 

Please forgive the graffiti - my home bar tends to attract a lot of insanity... 

IMG_3558.JPG

IMG_3559.JPG

Correct.  The screw cap stays on the barrel.  That's the issue (if there is one).  Should I cap the magazine in any way if transporting broken down? 

IMG_3555.JPG

You'll be fine, my only question is why? Especially during turkey season. I'm assuming that's the dicks package so your turkey barrel is 21"? You're only making the gun 5or6" shorter by taking the barrel off. Doesn't seem worth it to have to fumble with in the dark using a flashlight. I suggest getting a soft case that's as close to the length of the gun as possible.

The mag sprign doesn't come out on my 535. My model also has the screw that stays with the barrel. I've shaken it to get the plug out (the one that limits the amount of shells) and the spring didn't budge. I have the same combo as you, and the turkey barrel really makes it a breeze to transport. If it makes you feel better to break it down go nuts, but I travel with it intact. Probably cause I'm worried the zero will change on the red dot

Thanks, yeah, it seems pretty clear the spring can't come out the end with the barrel removed.  So now worries there.  

Now, however, I'm having a problem with the cheap-azz safety on the thing.  It actually kicks back to "safety on" when fired, about 10% of the time, based on a day of testing.  Very annoying.  Any ideas on what the heck is going on with that?