My take on antler restrictions

upstatehunter

Don't' forget the side profile of the head( >)That is wider jaw line to top of head in an older buck...You know Chas I posted several good links with picture! also the "crown" or forehead plate  the fur starts taking on a more reddish tone and looks more prominent. The noses (nostril area) seems to broaden ...thus the term we use in, "old shovel nose"

Would be a bad idea to subscribe to Growing deer TV:wink:

16 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

And calls them yearlings...........LOL

I corrected that. I didn't realize that two of the same were posted. By the way I said some of the 2.5 and up year Olds I never once said those pics were of yearlings. Try actually reading. You like to talk cap about the pics others post yet never post anything to back up any of your own claims. Go play with your farm raised genetically in handed deer and leave others alone.

1 hour ago, stubby68 said:

I corrected that. I didn't realize that two of the same were posted. By the way I said some of the 2.5 and up year Olds I never once said those pics were of yearlings. Try actually reading. You like to talk cap about the pics others post yet never post anything to back up any of your own claims. Go play with your farm raised genetically in handed deer and leave others alone.

Lol. You need to look a little deeper. I could throw pic's up of Deer, other people's kills all day long.  You were called out in bull by people that can look at a deer and tell if it's a yearling or not!!  Then you try to tell the first poster he was wrong when you were called out. I can go back over the last couple years and show you those same pictures you put up post after post saying they are this and that. It's obvious your your over the edge because you may not be able to kill all the babies any longer!!!  What a Joke!

1 hour ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Lol. You need to look a little deeper. I could throw pic's up of Deer, other people's kills all day long.  You were called out in bull by people that can look at a deer and tell if it's a yearling or not!!  Then you try to tell the first poster he was wrong when you were called out. I can go back over the last couple years and show you those same pictures you put up post after post saying they are this and that. It's obvious your your over the edge because you may not be able to kill all the babies any longer!!!  What a Joke!

I don't care who you are you can not tell the age of a deer by looking at a picturs. You can guess all you want but unless you have that animal in your hands you are only making a close guess. All the deer I posted were from the last 5 to 6 years. Big deal. Didn't any where that it was asked for picks gotten within the last few days. Did you? 

As I have stated before the AR would not affect me in any way. Not that hard to get 6 ,8 10 point or bigger deer around me. The numbers have been coming up very well since we stopped people like from hunting around us. 

That's just it you probably can post pics of what others kill because you have none of your own. The pics I post are of deer killed by myself and others on and around out property. Never once did I say or imply that they were all killed by me. 

Call them babies or what ever you want. Bothers me in no way at all. I do not agree with trophy hunting but I unlike you will never put another hunter down for the size of buck he or she decides to kill. Everyone should be able to kill what ever size makes them happy without a joke like you telling it is not good enough. People like are half of what is wrong with hunting in this state. Tell you what you buy my tags,get me a new gun ( savage 25 06 peferably) and pay for hunting clothes and my land and next year you can tell me exactly what I can kill ad be happy with. Until then just keep pretending to be better the the rest of us. Pretending and running you moth to back it up seems to be what you are good at. Have a nice day big boss man

12 minutes ago, stubby68 said:

I don't care who you are you can not tell the age of a deer by looking at a picturs. You can guess all you want but unless you have that animal in your hands you are only making a close guess. All the deer I posted were from the last 5 to 6 years. Big deal. Didn't any where that it was asked for picks gotten within the last few days. Did you? 

As I have stated before the AR would not affect me in any way. Not that hard to get 6 ,8 10 point or bigger deer around me. The numbers have been coming up very well since we stopped people like from hunting around us. 

That's just it you probably can post pics of what others kill because you have none of your own. The pics I post are of deer killed by myself and others on and around out property. Never once did I say or imply that they were all killed by me. 

Call them babies or what ever you want. Bothers me in no way at all. I do not agree with trophy hunting but I unlike you will never put another hunter down for the size of buck he or she decides to kill. Everyone should be able to kill what ever size makes them happy without a joke like you telling it is not good enough. People like are half of what is wrong with hunting in this state. Tell you what you buy my tags,get me a new gun ( savage 25 06 peferably) and pay for hunting clothes and my land and next year you can tell me exactly what I can kill ad be happy with. Until then just keep pretending to be better the the rest of us. Pretending and running you moth to back it up seems to be what you are good at. Have a nice day big boss man

You sure complain a lot about something that won't bother you in the least.   Like you said... there will still be plenty of little bucks to go around. The rest of us will be able to enjoy our properties much more!  Flame on with those little guys!

• Like 1

Nothing is 100% but anyone with a brain can age a deer 0-3 1/2yrs old. After that it gets tough because gains become much less year to year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though I am a meat-hunter, I really do appreciate the trophy hunters and those who like killing older bucks.   The small bucks they pass might be what ends up keeping my family from having to resort to store-bought chicken, pork, or turkey to fill or protein needs over a long winter.  I prefer to satisfy that need for food with bucks more than does for several reasons.   Most important, they are faster for me to process, with less fat to trim away.  Second, does are the source of future bucks, so it just don't feel right killing them.  I understand that it is necessary, because that is the only way to keep deer populations under control.  My favorite bucks to eat are BB's, but I have let many of those escape by taking my first shot at their momma.   Those that don't run away fast enough have often got to join her in "deer heaven" (our family's food supply) however.   I also appreciate the antlers because they make nice handles for dragging the bucks into a clearing for gutting, and into a tractor bucket for transport.    They also make great reminders of past hunts, and cool wall decorations. 

Some talk about "advancing" to trophy hunting, but I see as a step backward.   When I was young and single, I was more into the antlers.  Not so much since getting married and starting a family, with all those additional hungry mouths to feed.    

The only reason I pass 1-1/2 year old bucks, early in the seasons, is to get a crack at a 2-1/2 or 3-1/2 later.   All those taste about the same, but the 2-1/2's and 3-1/2's provide a lot more meat.   Even though BB's provide much less meat, it is so good that I never mind using a DMP on one.  On average, 25% of my DMP's have gone on them thru the years.   I would like to use all of them on those, but I sacrifice the flavor and tenderness to do my part to keep the population in check.   I always target the largest antlerless deer first whenever clean shots are offered.  

It is too bad that some trophy hunters despise meat hunters.  God did not put deer here to provide wall decorations. You can look that up in the Bible.  He also has the final say to where all of them end up, so it makes sense to hunt them for the right reason - for the meat.   I consider NY state  to be a meat-hunters paradise, and I would rate it number one for that compared to any other state or province where I have hunted or visited.   The DEC has done a great job for us.   The only little tweaks to the rules I would like to see is full inclusion of the crossbow and a third buck for those of us who buy a archery, gun, and ML tag.   Other than that, keep up the good work.  To the sorry complainers: If you don't like it leave it, there are 49 other states to pick from.    

As far as my take on AR's, I am only for them if they can be shown, using data from other states, that they make hunters safer.