Heard my first Tom...

growalot

A little bit ago...We were headed home from working on the new brush pile fence and he sounded of up the hill above the ridge...I let loose with a return Gobble and he gobbled back...then Angel and I headed in the opposite direction home...THAT was FUN...I can hardly wait. He was were we were not to long before us for I walked over his droppings on the way up the hill.

I am so very curious as to how this new fence will effect their movements...It's a tad longer than I originally thought about 150 yards...I have about 1/3 of it to 3 ft and the rest between 1-2 foot....I'll have most of it at least chest high by summer This is clearing the wood lot floor big time...It's a pleasure to walk though now...The turkey can scratch much easier and I have roughed up the ground litter dragging big limbs ,so under growth should take off...already seeing many more fern. Big down fall /logs stay...between that the new plots and old ones and water I'm putting in I should be able to get the critters to run the center of our place much more...once the fence is chest high deer wont jump it...They tend not to jump what they can not see over or through.Critters are moving in already...Had to yell at Angel digging up the fence twice.......increase rodents increase fox and birds of prey increase rabbits and song birds... lots of work but worth it.

• 2 years later...
54 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

I know this Thread is some years old, but, I love the Title--- Heard My 1st Tom. Won't be long now until they open up. Good Title by GrowAlot!!

I've been hearing a few toms sounding off from the roost the last two weekends. About 300-400 yards from the house. Crows had 'em gobbling. Great sign of Spring!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1