Craigslist find

So recently I've taken to woodworking and am enjoying it as a hobby. I've even made a few bucks selling some items. It's scary buying used tools off of Craigslist but all of the ones I have bought I've had demoed before purchasing.

I came across a smoking hot deal yesterday and thought I'd share with you guys. I bought a Craftsman 12" band saw and this thing is a beast. I've never owned a bandsaw so I've read up on them and watched some videos. I made some cuts and changed the blade out as well. I found I did a few things incorrectly and the blade walks just a tad so still learning to fine tune and have picked up some good pointers on the net.

Let me know what you think of her!!

Also, it came sitting on a wooden box as it didn't have a stand. The box protects the motor and helps the saw sit level as it sits atop my table saw for now. Any suggestions for how I should add legs to the box are appreciated to make it solid and sturdy.

38cf4811133e563af750d35e147d6eee.jpg14bd0a0ade08097fb82f71ecc29fce33.jpg761cacf314bb4c1db6a415571c7f3d10.jpg74f2daf5b043cd5344ed8abd2bd91ddd.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Yes I have a dust mask as my small garage tends to fill quickly with dust. I should have been clearer on the leg question too. Should I angle them or would straight up and down be ok? Haven't made many tables so a little unsure on what would make it more sturdy.

• Like 1

Nice saw. I just picked up a craftsman jointer for $10 had a broken table. New table only cost 40 bucks.  So got a $250 jointer for 50 . I am in to ood turning and use it to face pieces for glueing to make thicker. Wood working is relaxing and ther is just something about a block into something special with you own hands.

Go to harbor freight. They have some good stand for power tools for about $30. You can get a kit to put casters on it for another 20. If you really want to build you own legs I would make them at an angle. It will be sturdier then if straight legs.. 

Rocker is a good place to buy things for wood working. They are a little expensive but can find anything you want there. Even some things you didn't know you wanted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I just had a finger fall off looking at thing   #notthandywithtools

LOL - My wife came out in the garage last night as I was cutting a few things with it and she's asking 100 questions like "Aren't you afraid you'll cut your fingers off?" and I was like NO I wasn't until you came out and started asking 100 questions.

I also forgot to put how much I  got it for - $30 and came with 8 extra blades.

• Like 2

Wow, that was a smokin deal.  I have single-speed 12" Craftsman out in my shop that I picked up at a garage sale for $40 (with a table).   The two-speed feature would be nice for cutting metal (with a fine pitch blade), but I don't know that it would be any advantage for wood.    I also picked up a smaller, Skill bench-top model for down in the basement (I don't heat the shop over the winter) for $30 at another garage sale.   Band saws are very handy tools.   Did you get a rip fence and a miter gauge with it?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zem18 said:

LOL - My wife came out in the garage last night as I was cutting a few things with it and she's asking 100 questions like "Aren't you afraid you'll cut your fingers off?" and I was like NO I wasn't until you came out and started asking 100 questions.

I also forgot to put how much I  got it for - $30 and came with 8 extra blades.

Zem, I think I have the same saw, bought mine on Clist also. You got a great deal the blades alone are worth more than $30. I'll take some pics but I have built a couple of cabinets for some tools in my shop, put casters on the bottom so they are movable and the extra storage is a bonus. The key to cutting with a band saw is relief cuts so the blade doesn't bind up while trying to rotate the wood.

• Like 1

It did come with a rip fence and miter gauge as well wolc123 and the built in light is fantastic for my pathetic eyes. Those are some nice cabinets taco. I'm going to have to build something like that real soon as I am running out of room with all my new tools. Table saw, Miter saw, band saw, scroll saw, router and table (tabletop one).

Nice little saw.

I'd just make an adapter to fit an existing larger table.  If it's too high, just make a small step stool.

Blade tension is a factor with the bit walking.  Let her do the work, don't push feed it....

As a muzzleloader builder, I am jealous of your find..........

Great tool for rough cutting in stock blanks.   

• Like 1

Well I had some 2x4s and didn't get creative so I just screwed them into the wooden box it came with. It seems high but is actually a perfect height. I need to add a few in between braces to shore it up but it is solid and doesn't wobble as I thought it would. 88a782ebc7c22a8fbf035c7a2afbdd6d.jpg5680dc0eff02fcc73a6b271f91f7ddb4.jpg