Happy 14 year lad hunter

outdoorstom

I received a picture today of this young hunters first buck....just back from the taxidermist. Here's the original story and the mounted buck.

11/23/16
I got a call on Monday evening from a guy telling me his 14 year old had shot a nice 8 pointer Saturday morning and wondered if there was anything we could do. I explained that with the deep snow and the length of time since the shot, we would be air scenting only and it was very unlikely we would find it. 

The hunter, his mother, and I headed out this morning (Wednesday) at 9:00. While the hunter was taking us to last blood, we came across fresh blood, but it turned out a snowshoe hare had met his fate. We continued on to last blood and in the distance I could see a stand of cedars. I carried Luna into them where the snow wasn't as deep and she could walk. We meandered through them for about 15 minutes with Luna trying to follow hot trails and me trying to just work her through the area. She had her nose stuck into a track and I said c'mon girl, we're looking for a dead deer. 15 seconds later and she's standing next to a nice dead 8 pointer! The coyotes had gotten to the rear end, but the cape was still good. His Dad said on the phone today that they were going to mount it.

IMG_0422.JPG

image1.JPG

• Like 13

What a great ending to a great story. These are among the many things that make working with a great dog like Luna, so rewarding! Thanks so much for sharing this with us! What a great buck and the young hunters smile, says it all. You and Luna make a very special and awesome team. Even among other tracker teams.

• Like 1