A reminder....

growalot

Mosquito,ticks and black flies, OMG the black flies are BAD!!!!!, aren't the only things to look out for in the spring turkey woods...Black bear, you guys with young-ins out there should go over the do's and don't in a bear encounter...especially sitting on the ground in the woods. I came across some rather big bear scat right next to one of my brush blinds...This got me thinking.... stay safe and have fun...

Not that I'm worried about bears as we've never seen one but am I allowed  to carry a handgun tucked away on youth hunt ? Never saw in regs where I can't and never leave home without one. Just for shooting skeeters of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by turkeyfeathers

Thanks for the heads up, Growie....I just added my thermacell to my list for next week's hunt in Canada.

Where in Ontario are you hunting ? Is it a pita to get license , $ ? and take gun across the border ? And are bugs smaller with the exchange rate ?

12 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Where in Ontario are you hunting ? Is it a pita to get license , $ ? and take gun across the border ? And are bugs smaller with the exchange rate ?

Hunting near Picton in Prince Edward County.. It IS a PITA to get a license for one reason....Ontario REQUIRES that before you can purchase a turkey license you MUST take their training course, which is similar to a turkey hunting seminar here in the states..It doesn't  matter how many years you have hunted or how many turkeys you have killed, if you want the license, you gotta take the course..This means that you must  go up to Canada specifically to take their training course, which is 6-8 hours..basically you blow a weekend... sometimes it's difficult to find a scheduled course, yada yada.

Once you have taken their training course, it's no big deal. Small game license is about $125 CD and the turkey tags ( limit 2) are $25 each.....Not a lot of good public land to hunt....The law requires permission to hunt private land...No posted signs required, if it is private you just do not hunt without permission.  In my experience permission is fairly easy to get by knocking on doors and politly asking, but  you must take the time to do it prior to the hunt.

I have a friend up there who has lived in a rural area all his life and he secures permission for himself and me every year.

Gettting the gun across the border takes about 1/2 hour at customs filling out an application and paying about $30, which registers your gun in Canada for 60 days...

Despite the favorable exchange rate, the bugs are much bigger..An average Canadian mosquito seldom leaves with less than half a pint,  EH...?

• Like 3