Who's ready for the AM !!??

TreeGuy

Nice bird Treeguy!  

I had no action while sitting in the blind, very windy for two hours.  Decided to walk a little, I scratched my call at the beginning of the trail and got an immediate gobble!  Moved to hunker down at the nearest tree and saw the bird out of the corner of my eye run away.  Very disappointing, I should known better and only called when I was in position.

Nice bird Treeguy!  
I had no action while sitting in the blind, very windy for two hours.  Decided to walk a little, I scratched my call at the beginning of the trail and got an immediate gobble!  Moved to hunker down at the nearest tree and saw the bird out of the corner of my eye run away.  Very disappointing, I should known better and only called when I was in position.

I'll pass that on to my dad !!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Just posted Sunday about blind hunting and how much I agree with TreeGuy that ground blinds do not spook birds. I mentioned that I have had great success in the past out of a ground blind and low and behold, did it again today. Tom came in quiet to attack my jake decoy that was 10 yds, in front of my ground blind. I had to wait for him to circle around the decoy so as not to shoot the decoy. Result was a jellyhead kill. Bird is 22 lbs., 10" beard, 1 1/4" spurs. Can't be happier! Notice the ground blind in the background.

valoroutdoors.com

123951[496].jpg

201705029506530295149372565899095001[495].jpg

• Like 7

An interesting morning for me yesterday. Took the day off work, was about 45 minutes too late into the woods. Trouble getting up that early and first day fumblings. Busted 2 birds from the roost which sucked. Sat till around 8:30 with only a few gobbles and no sightings. Then got up and headed towards the fields. On my way over I heard some gobbles, got all excited. They stop. I get near the field and my jaw drops. about 10 birds in the field including 2 monster toms strutting and fanning. They're about 150 yards away and I'm going to setup on the edge and see if I can call them over, but they bust me and head down into a little creek area.

I started walking the hedgerow to see if I could stalk them and get a shot when I hear gobbles just north. So I sit back down and catch 2 birds on the other side of the field headed towards the flock I just busted. They were interested in me, but then some real hens started calling and I was no match.

I made my way back down the hedgerow towards the birds and when I jumped them they were just moving too fast for me to feel comfortable to take a shot. Probably should have crept in slower or setup on top of the hill overlooking where they went, but it was starting to rain pretty good and had been for an hour or so.

On a positive note, found a real nice 8 point rack that we weren't sure if he survived.

Edited by Belo

Here is the short video of my super close shot of the 22 lb. tom this morning. He came in dead quiet from behind us and we never saw him until he was right in front of us. My son just had enough time to turn on the camera for the shot.

valoroutdoors.com

• Like 1