Fisher

erussell

I watched one for about 10 minutes pre-turkey season a couple years ago. He was investigating a creek edge and just prowling around. Very neat. About 10 days ago I had another run across the road about 30 feet in front of my car. They are a beautiful animal. Was it in condition for you to try to save the hide?

So what kind of habitat do these guys need. Can they flourish in open areas like ag lands?

Doc

I really don't know, I know they flourish in the Dacks so I guess all the Farm land that is turning back into woods is drawing them south. One of there favorite foods is very over populated around here. Porcupines. They are the only enemy of the porcupine, and they are adapted to flip them over and eat them. and there are alot of them around where I live.

• 3 months later...

Fishers are starting to show up here in Steuben County in the southern tier..

Some of my friends who trap have caught and released several in the last couple of years.. Another friend saw one while he was squirrel hunting..

Fishers are adept at catching squirrels ( and other rodents) and there are plenty of them here..

Fisher can adapt. They feed on red squirrels as their main diet. I think years ago they were introduced in the dacks to help with the porky population. They feed on a number of porkies as well. But I believe they will also feed on rabbits, mice, birds and the occasional gut pile. The habitat in the southern part of the states is likely changing to accomodate the fisher.