6 G News

Steve D

Jefferson County
Town of Orleans
Burning Hay Bales: On May 23, Jefferson County Fire Coordinators requested DEC Forest Rangers to assist the LaFargeville Fire Department to extinguish a large pile of burning hay bales on the Perch River Wildlife Management Area. Approximately 300 large square bales weighing 1,000 pounds each and stacked in a single row 100 feet long and 12 feet high had been stored in a hay field prior to being moved off-site. Firefighting efforts were difficult because of the bales' remote location and the depth of the pile. A DEC excavator was used to break apart the bales and allow the water and Class A firefighting foam to penetrate the pile and extinguish the fire. By May 25, the fire was extinguished. DEC's Bureau of Environmental Crimes Investigation is investigating how the fire began.

Burning hay bales

I remember opening up some small square bales that were smoking hot inside, many years ago.  That was caused by baling them before the hay was dry.   We have not had much good hay-drying weather yet this season, so that would be my bet on the "root cause".  

I remember opening up some small square bales that were smoking hot inside, many years ago.  That was caused by baling them before the hay was dry.   We have not had much good hay-drying weather yet this season, so that would be my bet on the "root cause".  

That takes months to happen. If that were the case they would be last years bales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1