DEC Formulating Their "5 Year Deer Management Plan"

wztirem

I hunt in 4W and this past season I saw more does than I have seen in awhile. But we saw few bucks, Where are the bucks? Our gang has about 450 acres what we can hunt and not much to show for it. Saw two 6tp bucks during bow season and my brother shot one in gun season. I took a doe in bow but that's it for about 13 hunters. We don't shoot does in our club and neither do the people around us. Also we don't shoot spikes and this had been our policy for many years.

Dave

It still boggles my mind to hear people still don't shoot doe. It's like they think they are doing them a favor. Shoot them!! Give your bucks a rest for a few yrs and shoot the doe. Your bucks you have are probably rutting themselves to death trying to breed all the doe's.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres a broken record!..bigger bucks..bigger bucks..bigger bucks

#1. If theres $, the state can maintain your hunting area

#2.no one said you had to hunt over feeders..and i suggested makin a no kill radius around said feeders. Also a profit when idiots decide to abuse the privalage of a  feeder..a huge fine or jailtime can be enforced

#3.feeders would promote a healthier herd

#4. Giving hunters the few more precious moments to judge a deer may greatly reduce yearling kills

Education costs $..and you dont care where that comes from..you just want

Not sure where you got your hatred for bigger bucks... maybe it's because you have trouble seeing any.

#1 There isn't any money for the state to maintain feeders

#2 So instead we just kill them on their way to the feeders.. what's the difference?

#3 Feeders would just train deer to come to feeders and not feed naturally... that would mean that the feeders would have to be maintain forever... I sure hope there aren't any budget cuts!

#4 The hunters that shoot yearlings now are still going to shoot yearlings ... remember.. you're hunting for meat and the yearlings taste the best.. even though they don't have as much meat as the big ones

Oh antler..you see..i dont hate anything..but bigger bucks are all you think about..the state wont cut programs that generate money..like.shooting yer own foot..and if i have to..ill say it again..#1food plotting is bait..#2 you would buy a feedr permit and maintain it yerself..and buy the feed..nys  would just have to supply more encon officers..#3 and i also said this b4...the taking of yearlings is a case of mistaken identity..if a group of 3 deer stand infront of you..chances are its mama and babies..seperate them and one by one they look the same.. grouping the deer together would be qdm..

Killing a deer on the way to feed is what we do now..unless you are the stealthiest dude in the world and shoot them on their beds..

Wheres your plan..

One that doesnt gratify just you..?

Refer back a few posts.. I already answered that. And as far as hunting goes you are right.. Big Bucks are all I think about until muzzleloader season... then it's big bicks and big does... I don't see the problem...

For the record I only hunt big tom turkeys too.. :)

NY Big Game,      DEC continues to refine strategies and recommendations in development of a 5-year deer management plan for New York State.  We anticipate that the plan will be available for public review and comment by late May or early June.  This time frame will also allow us to conclude a summary assessment of the pilot antler restriction program in the southern Catskills and address the future of mandatory antler restrictions in the pilot area and elsewhere in the deer management plan.  Recently, several erroneous claims have circulated in some New York hunting blogs, online forums and news articles, implying that DEC intends to shut down the pilot antler restriction program regardless of hunter interests.  These claims have no base.  DEC does not have pre-determined intentions for the pilot antler restriction program but will use results of the summary assessment to help determine the future of the program.  Preliminary information about the deer management plan is available at www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7211.html, and a description of the antler restriction issue in New York is available at www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/27663.html.    Jeremy Hurst  Big Game Biologist

Even with feeders a buck will forego eating during the rut.. its just in his nature to do so... they have something far more exciting that they want to concentrate on ;)

A feeder would help the mature buck regain calories thru the winter..or doe..or yearlings...again ..one track mind..you keep talking of a healthy herd..but all you speak of is bucks..

Even with feeders a buck will forego eating during the rut.. its just in his nature to do so... they have something far more exciting that they want to concentrate on :D

A feeder would help the mature buck regain calories thru the winter..or doe..or yearlings...again ..one track mind..you keep talking of a healthy herd..but all you speak of is bucks..

That's because I was responding to your comment on feeders and rutting bucks...  :;)  and as far as the rest of the deer... mother nature does just fine getting the deer through the winter in most areas.. especially where you hunt

yes i live where I hunt also and the snow gets quite deep and no i have never seen the winter kill you say you see.... usually the reason for winter kill in most areas is over population and lack of browse... mother natures way of thinning out the herd... 4-8 deer don't fit on a postage stamp ;)

height=412 alt=Deer Transects Map width=http://www.tn.gov/twra/images2/deertransects.png[/img]

As nice as it would have been to go out and simply count deer, we knew that was not a viable option for coming up with an accurate population estimate. Without a doubt, we would miss deer on our surveys thus leading to a lower population than what was truly out there. Therefore our agency opted to incorporate a method called distance sampling. As complicated as it appears (trust us there's a lot of math), when it is described in the simplest, most folks can understand it.

Below is a link that will hopefully help folks understand distance sampling.

http://web.me.com/tnwildlife/DistanceSampling/Distance_Sampling.html

The first video describes how distance sampling works, while the second video works through a simple math problem and introduces our Area 22 Study. It is our intention to take these studies statewide to determine deer densities across our landscape.

Above is one snippet gleaned from the Tenn DNR website. It is a very interesting website.