good day to cut...

I went out to the garden an sunk to my ankles...berries too wet to pick to wet to weed  So cut trees..man I have a lot of standing dead and diseased maples...and the younger ash are dying back... I cut a few Poplar..of course hung up... and every diseased maple I could find..One of the big ones hung up so they will need winching... Cut tops and did fencing...The clover is coming in very well now and it will get a bit more sun...crow and turkey are hammering it though and raccoon visit often...another small critter I can't figure out...maybe a grey fox?.. It's small. I have a lot more to cut but ran out of fuel,bar oil and the chain needs replacing...I have done a lot of cutting on that chain.... tomorrow night and Sunday is a River over niter ..Mom and dad have a wedding to be in..he is too but I'll pick him up before the reception.... so little will get done this week end...Good the rain is now...lol

Edited by growalot

• 3 weeks later...

Man I cut some trees today...too wet to do anything else...I took out some pretty big ones lining the lane way at Rivers blind...several more to do...This weather has really flattened the brush fencing but this will build it back up..I limbed them and will start clean up tomorrow...Have to get that area done before the fall planting.  Opened up a couple of nice oaks so they can expand their canopies.Took out a lot of diseased trees, and open a lot more sun to both sides of the fencing.

My plan to start planting the woods side of fencing is on hold to next year thanks to this weather......But this winter I'll finish the junk tree clearing. Then first thaw, rake the rocks to the fence line so I can lime the area hard and rake in some seed...Make a good staging area before they hit the main lane way plot. Good God I'm tired ,but it's a good tired

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Work carefully, Girlfriend....Damn, I hate chain saws....That felling trees is dangerous business, I don't care HOW much experience you've had..

Damn near nothing MORE dangerous than a chain saw.  I loaned min e to my BIL a bunch of years ago......no more, it's just too risky IMO.

27 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Damn near nothing MORE dangerous than a chain saw.  I loaned min e to my BIL a bunch of years ago......no more, it's just too risky IMO.

You want to laugh, I broke my front tooth last year on a chainsaw while it was off.  Hit something carrying it in the woods and it kicked up and broke my tooth.   I looked really cool for a few hours until my dentist fixed me up. Nice having a buddy that's a dentist. Could have been much worse though even when it's not running .  Careful. 

• Like 1

I was cutting clover with the bush-hog this afternoon, and got it about half done.   There is a lot of timothy hay in the last big field.  I saw a "horse" farmer neighbor at church this morning and I told him that I would leave that for last.  He said he would cut it and bale it for his horses if some of his own hay gets rained on before he can bale it.  I would say the odds of that is pretty good considering all the rain we have been getting.   Horses do a lot better on timothy than they do on clover.   If you keep taking the hay off a field every year, without adding fertilizer or manure, it keeps getting thinner.  This field has not been baled in about 5 years, so it is pretty thick right now.   I would not mind him cutting it, as it would save me about 10 gallons of diesel and thus lower my input costs a bit this season.  The deer don't like that timothy much anyhow, compared to the clover in the smaller fields.