CWD

First-light

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-smith/2017/06/28/macaque-study-heightens-concerns-human-susceptibility-cwd/430046001/

Those hunters in Wisconsin that harvest deer, I wonder if they eat them? If your state has the highest amount of CWD  would you eat the meat? 

Why don't they talk about any cases that may have come up, or are there none????

For me if NY was to ever run into this problem I would have a hard time shooting a deer I didn't consume. Sure would dampen things a bit for deer season. 

CWD has not jumped the species barrier. The CDC did look into a possible case of CWD jumping the species barrier but they didn’t find a link in the case. There has been a 117% jump in CJD cases in Wisconsin but no link has been found between CWD and CJD. Just google CWD jumping the species barrier.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gjs4 said:

Lots of great podcasts on it the past few weeks- ultimately it is managing unknowns and assumptions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And all the lies and agendas that groups like QDMA and such have only hurts the deer and hunting itself. The more bull that is spread that is aimed at hurting deer farms and high fence hunting has the opposite effect and hurts hunting.

I found this on a deer farm in Iowa

The Iowa Whitetail Deer Association, which is an advocacy group for deer farming (it is a big business, after all) touts a variety of “deer farming facts” on its website, including that some states, like Virginia and Maryland, don’t have deer farms, but have had confirmed CWD cases in their wild herds. The page cites the North American Deer Farmer's Association as the source for most of these facts. The page, which was updated in March of 2013, also prominently says “There has never been a ‘Farmed Deer’ in Iowa die of CWD.”

Maybe not. But you can bet the 284 of the 356 animals in that captive herd mentioned above would have died had they not been killed first. The disease, as we've said, is always fatal.

I think it's time we hunters amp up our conversations about the captive deer industry. Look, I run my own business, which includes contract work for Realtree. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone more pro-capitalism than me. But the captive cervid industry is posing a threat to wild deer on a level we still don't completely understand. Some of the implications are catastrophic. And all for an industry that exists so that giant bucks can be grown on a farm, released into a pen, and shot by whoever pays the most money.

I found this on a deer farm in Iowa
The Iowa Whitetail Deer Association, which is an advocacy group for deer farming (it is a big business, after all) touts a variety of “deer farming facts” on its website, including that some states, like Virginia and Maryland, don’t have deer farms, but have had confirmed CWD cases in their wild herds. The page cites the North American Deer Farmer's Association as the source for most of these facts. The page, which was updated in March of 2013, also prominently says “There has never been a ‘Farmed Deer’ in Iowa die of CWD.”

Maybe not. But you can bet the 284 of the 356 animals in that captive herd mentioned above would have died had they not been killed first. The disease, as we've said, is always fatal.

I think it's time we hunters amp up our conversations about the captive deer industry. Look, I run my own business, which includes contract work for Realtree. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone more pro-capitalism than me. But the captive cervid industry is posing a threat to wild deer on a level we still don't completely understand. Some of the implications are catastrophic. And all for an industry that exists so that giant bucks can be grown on a farm, released into a pen, and shot by whoever pays the most money.

Well that kinda shows what don't really know about that herd. Can you tell us how many animals were both brain and node tested positive? Can you tell us why the the farm in this case won a multi million dollar lawsuit against the state of Iowa? Or maybe you can relate some info on the lawsuit they won from the state of Iowa for shutting down their farm? When states test at a 000.1 percent of their animals and farms test at 100 percent it's not real tough to figure out where it will be found first. Please do show how catastrophic this joke of a disease has been so far in the last 60 years? CWD has done no harm to any herds in any states. All their agenda pushing is just pushing more people to use high fence because they are 100% tested! All they are doing is hurting hunting and the whitetail itself. Sure is not stopping the growth of deer farming nor high fence hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again here we have uneducated people talking about something they are clueless about. First off only half of the herd was tested and only 20% of the herd was brain positive! Which means they were really positive. The rest of the tested animals were only node tested which mean they are only carrying the infectious agent of which could turn into CWD just like humans and Cancer. There are only two outcomes of a CWD test and that is..Not Detected or Suspect! There is a reason the state of Iowa paid these farmers millions of dollars after losing the case right in the state of Iowa. The state tried to strong arm the farm out of business because they were so successful in that state hunting on their big high fence operation, hence taking cash from the state and the judge saw thru the scam and sided with the farmers and paid them huge money for their loss!3e8046915d452dd716a6b9f559815844.jpg Yup a lot of sick looking deer here!

So what your saying is about 40 of the deer tested positive well you only need 1 deer to test positive.

That may or may not be right but in Wisconsin it’s over 30% in the CWD area. It’s all ways fatal there is no doubt of that

4 minutes ago, Larry said:

So what your saying is about 40 of the deer tested positive well you only need 1 deer to test positive.

That may or may not be right but in Wisconsin it’s over 30% in the CWD area. It’s all ways fatal there is no doubt of that

True that...But in the big picture as many deer are killed on one night on the highways across the country than have been positive in 12 years of testing. No threat to man or any other animals?  Shows the world that CWD is just a money grab and something used by groups like qdma to try and rid the landscape of their biggest threat.......High Fence Hunting!  Period!

• 3 weeks later...
And all the lies and agendas that groups like QDMA and such have only hurts the deer and hunting itself. The more bull that is spread that is aimed at hurting deer farms and high fence hunting has the opposite effect and hurts hunting.

Interesting point(s). I've noticed the podcasts are using the same guest in the same time frame like an agenda or the uncanny product ad amidst a review article for the product. Think they're just using the same provision or are you rather sure they're selling us something?

The DEC being bent on cwd (and lead ammo for that matter) is mind boggling to me. They're obviously spending time and money on this too. Is it truly an issue here now? Doesn't appear to be. If one were to say their efforts are for prevention; what insight and ability do they have their? None.

I see it as hot air from Hurst and Co. Why we have high fence deer farms is beyond me.

Interesting point(s). I've noticed the podcasts are using the same guest in the same time frame like an agenda or the uncanny product ad amidst a review article for the product. Think they're just using the same provision or are you rather sure they're selling us something?

The DEC being bent on cwd (and lead ammo for that matter) is mind boggling to me. They're obviously spending time and money on this too. Is it truly an issue here now? Doesn't appear to be. If one were to say their efforts are for prevention; what insight and ability do they have their? None.

I see it as hot air from Hurst and Co. Why we have high fence deer farms is beyond me.

Simple answer. Because folks have that right to be able to raise them. Giving the fact that they have no proof what they are stopping has ever shown CWD proves their agenda? Show me where they have ever made a law or stopped something coming into the state that has 100% Shown to carry the prions and I will show you truck loads of Corn and Alfalfa hay coming in by the ton's! It's all about the Money! High fence takes cash out of their coffers.

For the most part I could agree with this. Not sure on the "right" part.... because I can't grow certain plans (honeysuckle or even hemp) or raise bears and piranhas, right? But to NY- money is money. Where we totally agree is what they (DEC or most biologists) know or don't know. They just throw strategies at the wall and hope the miracle solution sticks to no real avail at this point. There are a few that claimed supplemental feeding can provide medicinal exposure that's the cure rather than the crux but we can do that either. My guess Jeremy will opt to have more
Dmps until the threat is alleviated.

For the most part I could agree with this. Not sure on the "right" part.... because I can't grow certain plans (honeysuckle or even hemp) or raise bears and piranhas, right? But to NY- money is money. Where we totally agree is what they (DEC or most biologists) know or don't know. They just throw strategies at the wall and hope the miracle solution sticks to no real avail at this point. There are a few that claimed supplemental feeding can provide medicinal exposure that's the cure rather than the crux but we can do that either. My guess Jeremy will opt to have more
Dmps until the threat is alleviated.

Lol. No Doubt. The facts still remain that farms will always find it first regardless of where it comes from because we test 100% of all deaths. Ny and all states test at like 00.1% or some useless figure. We have CWD in Ny right now I have no doubts. My only question is if they really are afraid why do they not ban the stuff that they KNOW carries the prions and why do they allow that stuff into our state from CWD positive hitzone states? It's almost always pointed at the Deer farm and high fence when they in fact have no proof? Just like the Urine ban? They allow gallons and gallons of urine to be stocked on our shelves from states that have deer that have CWD and them tell people not to use it? They know we still will and that in fact ups the chance of bringing it in when if they were smart they would allow only urine from our own CWD free whitetails of the state to be stocked on our shelves of our state? Like a law to no minerals or deer feeding yet they still pack the shelves and sell tons of the stuff every year! This urine ban will be laughed at just like the feeding ban and we will still be using urine from Ny Deer as well as possible positive urine from other states? Why? Because it's there and people don't believe the hype!