Westchester/Putnam Bow Shop?

BizCT

If I decide to buy my first compound bow, who do you guys (in the Westchester/Putnam area) suggest using to get sized, try out bows, etc?

I bought my Excalibur xbow from Flying Arrow in Carmel (Putnam) back in 2011 and had a pleasant experience. They set everything up for me, gave me a tutorial and let me fire some shots at the indoor range. Are they still a good place to use? I see their website says that all bow purchases include the following for free: complete setup, correct draw length measurement, free initial instruction, one hour range time, warranty service support, etc.

Looks like they are authorized dealers for Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech, Elite, PSE, Mission, and several others....

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
adding info

If you like getting totally ripped off they are great. That goes for 99% of bow shops in our area

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Really? They beat anyone back in 2011 for my xbow and I always shop around for the best deal. Maybe because it was a cash deal?

Who do you suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? They beat anyone back in 2011 for my xbow and I always shop around for the best deal. Maybe because it was a cash deal?
Who do you suggest?

I prefer the guys in Mamaroneck, just found them to be less of a ripoff. Best bet is to learn how to do your own tuning. But I just found them to be more pleasant to deal with personally

I prefer the guys in Mamaroneck, just found them to be less of a ripoff. Best bet is to learn how to do your own tuning. But I just found them to be more pleasant to deal with personally

They have some pretty horrible reviews. How often do you need a compound tuned?

They have some pretty horrible reviews. How often do you need a compound tuned?

I personally only did mine when I needed a new string. I have a friend with a full setup so I have him do all my work for free.

• Like 1

I personally only did mine when I needed a new string. I have a friend with a full setup so I have him do all my work for free.

What kind do you have? The Mathews Halon 32 looks sweet but I haven't tried anything yet lol

What kind do you have? The Mathews Halon 32 looks sweet but I haven't tried anything yet lol

I have a 2013 elite hunter. Sickest bow I have personally ever shot. I can only assume the Elite bows have only gotten more Elite in the years since mine was produced. I fear trying any new bows because I'd hate to have to drop another 1200+ on the 2018 Elite bows

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

I have a 2013 elite hunter. Sickest bow I have personally ever shot. I can only assume the Elite bows have only gotten more Elite in the years since mine was produced. I fear trying any new bows because I'd hate to have to drop another 1200+ on the 2018 Elite bows

Nice. If it rains Saturday and kills my pool plans, I may go try some bows and if something shoots nice and feels right make the purchase. Got any spots in Westchester for me? take me under your wing! LOL

Nice. If it rains Saturday and kills my pool plans, I may go try some bows and if something shoots nice and feels right make the purchase. Got any spots in Westchester for me? take me under your wing! LOL

Can try extreme archery in Mamaroneck to at least test some bows. Definitely look into the Elites there. They are freaking sweet! Bears are also pretty decent if you are just looking into dabbling before you jump in fully and drop buku bucks on an Elite

Can try extreme archery in Mamaroneck to at least test some bows. Definitely look into the Elites there. They are freaking sweet! Bears are also pretty decent if you are just looking into dabbling before you jump in fully and drop buku bucks on an Elite

I'm all or nothing lol. If I feel comfortable shooting one I'll buy something nice

• Like 1

I too would be interested in finding someplace highly recommended. The one I've been to on the island is OK but never left me feeling like wow, this place is awesome.

I was actually looking to check out Flying Arrow in Carmel but I guess they're not that great either?

Too bad Lancaster is so far away, that place definitely made me say wow.

I too would be interested in finding someplace highly recommended. The one I've been to on the island is OK but never left me feeling like wow, this place is awesome.
I was actually looking to check out Flying Arrow in Carmel but I guess they're not that great either?
Too bad Lancaster is so far away, that place definitely made me say wow.

I'm going back to flying arrow in Carmel to start.

Flying Arrow in Carmel is the best I've seen - the guy who opened Extreme in Mamaroneck used to work at Flying Arrow - left to go on his own I guess -

I'm on my 3rd bow from Mike at Flying Arrow, bought my first when it was Archer's Attic in the basement of the building - you can't go wrong with Mike -

• Like 1

Flying Arrow in Carmel is the best I've seen - the guy who opened Extreme in Mamaroneck used to work at Flying Arrow - left to go on his own I guess -
I'm on my 3rd bow from Mike at Flying Arrow, bought my first when it was Archer's Attic in the basement of the building - you can't go wrong with Mike -

When I bought my xbow there it was named flying arrow but was back and downstairs of building. It's not like that anymore? Or they moved?

When I bought my xbow there it was named flying arrow but was back and downstairs of building. It's not like that anymore? Or they moved?

Hes talking many years ago it was archers atic

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kpkot said:

x2 on elite. I dont like the new split limb elites, but their standard limb design is great. I shoot a 2011 elite pure and refuse to upgrade it because theres no need.  Second string just went on it. 

I considered selling my Pure last week until i took it out and shot it again , it's staying.

• Like 2

I've bought a few bows from flying arrow over the years and one from extreme archery, I prefer flying arrow. I've know Mike since I was a kid and his son Nick and their employee Dave really know their stuff. As far as pricing goes they are comparable to any other shops in the area, best way to do it if you want to save some money is to pick the accessories you want and buy them online and bring them with you when you purchase the bow. They up charge the hell out of accessories but it's how small shops make their money. As for your question on the Halon 32, I have the 30 and love it, for ground blind hunting I shoot a bowtech Prodigy which is a 32 inch bow, I would not hesitate to use a Halon 32 in the tree or out of a blind.

• Like 2