40 years ago today

Water Rat

I can't believe it's been 40 years ago today that David Berkowitz (aka Son Of Sam) was caught. I can remember buying the NY Daily News every morning on my way to work and reading about the fear he put in NYC. He now "resides" in Shawungunk CF.son-of-sam-mug-shots.jpgberkowitzmug1.jpg

20 minutes ago, ny hunter said:

Paper said yesterday was 40 years also said he wants to stay in prison ..

Someone almost took him off the count a few years ago.........slashed him pretty good under his neck with a shank. Yeah.....he wants to stay in prison because he'll never get paroled.

I was in NYC at the time that SOS was active...I  had to spend an overnight to obtain a Mexican work visa  for my job.

I spent an overnight with a Navy buddy in Bayside, Queens, which was Sam's stomping grounds..

My buddy's wife was a pretty Italian girl and  I remember her talking about how spooked everyone in the neighborhood was, especially pretty women with long hair..

It was summer of 1977 and had not caught Sam yet when I was there..

12 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I was in NYC at the time that SOS was active...I  had to spend an overnight to obtain a Mexican work visa  for my job.

I spent an overnight with a Navy buddy in Bayside, Queens, which was Sam's stomping grounds..

My buddy's wife was a pretty Italian girl and  I remember her talking about how spooked everyone in the neighborhood was, especially pretty women with long hair..

It was summer of 1977 and had not caught Sam yet when I was there..

I turned 14 that summer, and in my lifetime I don't remember anyone or anything that put as much fear into New Yorkers as the SOS did.  Definitely no one since.  Even 9/11 as bad as that was somehow didn't have the same effect.

I graduated that year and it was talked about a lot but not a big deal here...I do remember Manson and how very very scared that had my younger step sister...That was in the late 60's early 70's....then he became news again when resentenced1977... I think the one that bothered me the most was that little red headed boy that tortured and killed a younger little boy. Man that kid creeped me out......Then there was Shawcross killing prostitutes in Rochester... Paroled after raping and killing two kids in I think Watertown...Then he went to Rochester and spent 2 yrs in the 80's killing and I think mutilating prostitutes 11 in all they believe....Genesee River killer...No shortage of nut jobs in NYS

Edited by growalot