Are there any restrictions on quartering and packing out game?

uberyan

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

If you bring the head out along with the meat there is absolutely nothing you would need to worry about.  I was stopped once at a road block by the DEC and had a box full of cut up meat and the head of a doe in bag laying on top of it with the proper tag filled out.  The DEC had no issue with the way I was transporting it.  There is no need to cut off the deers genitals because it will solve nothing.  You can kill a deer with antlers and you'd need to put a buck tag on it, yet the genitals could be of a doe and the DEC would not have any issue against you since the deer is properly tagged as an antlered deer.  So yanking off the genitals serves no purpose.

I'm assuming some are asking what if you choose NOT to bring the head out. I'm presenting the scenario of walking out of the woods with a totally boned out deer or just 4 quarters....I'm thinking you NEED something in that situation, head or sex organs.

If you bring the head out along with the meat there is absolutely nothing you would need to worry about.  I was stopped once at a road block by the DEC and had a box full of cut up meat and the head of a doe in bag laying on top of it with the proper tag filled out.  The DEC had no issue with the way I was transporting it.  There is no need to cut off the deers genitals because it will solve nothing.  You can kill a deer with antlers and you'd need to put a buck tag on it, yet the genitals could be of a doe and the DEC would not have any issue against you since the deer is properly tagged as an antlered deer.  So yanking off the genitals serves no purpose.

If im packing out a doe I'm not carrying her head out.

This is directly from dec website.
85e53b51a9aa2887e913209fc2a4f3a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there's a huge difference between transporting/possession of a deer after the fact of it being cut up, butchered, dismembered for taxidermy purposes, etc, and having it in your vehicle or home and walking out of the woods with one from a day of hunting and having it missing parts and being broken down into nothing more then chunks of meat.

Edited by jjb4900

I think there's a huge difference between transporting/possession of a deer after the fact of it being cut up, butchered, dismembered for taxidermy purposes, etc, and walking out of the woods with one from a day of hunting and having it missing parts and being broken down into nothing more then chunks of meat....

I think you're wrong but we will find out as soon as I get an email back.

At the fair tonight I got the info from "A" horses mouth.

After a 10 minute discussion we ended at this, antlers don't work for proof of sex, if you leave the "carcass" in the woods you must keep proof of sex with the meat as well as a tag.

If making multiple trips keep the tag with you.

I'm still waiting on the email I sent the other day but this is what I have so far.

From what the officer I talked to yesterday at the fair said you're incorrect you still have to have proof of sex, that being said it was from "a" horses mouth and a different officer may have a different idea.