Wurtsboro public land

bens

Hi, I'm new to the forum.  I'm looking into new hunting areas for deer gun season that I've listed below. if anyone has any recent information it will be greatly appreciated.  For example; are There lots of hills and mountains, is there access, hunting pressure etc.  thanks and good luck in 2017. 

Roos Gap

Shawangunk Ridge State Forest

Bashakill WMA

Wurtsboro Ridge Open Space

yeah i hunted bashakill years ago for small game and hicock brook and wolf brook in the wurstboro area i feel you might do better with lake superior on 17b and the old orange and rockland utility property called montagup valley now. look on the interactive mapper on the dec site dont forget to layer it in the right hand corner what that means you can add widlife areas and other stuff on the map when you click on it you 'll see

It looks like I opened the topic in the incorrect forum.  The "deer processing" sub category of deer hunting. Sorry about that.   

Thanks for your replies.  The Wurtsboro area is about as far as I'm willing to travel from the NYC area.  I was just wondering if it is worth the drive.  I hunt for the day by myself so over 4 hrs. driving is a lot.  I'm current hunting Sterling Forest and haven’t seen a deer in years.  I only hunt 2 to 3 days out of the year, due to the travel time. Just looking into another place.  Thanks again.

I hunted Bashakill many years ago. If it's like it was then I would avoid that place the first week of the season. After that, like most places, the crowds disappear.

You might want to look into Storm King Mountain off of RT 9w by West Point. It was closed to hunting at one point and I'm not sure if it was ever reopened

On 8/13/2017 at 8:21 PM, bens said:
Hi, I'm new to the forum.  I'm looking into new hunting areas for deer gun season that I've listed below. if anyone has any recent information it will be greatly appreciated.  For example; are There lots of hills and mountains, is there access, hunting pressure etc.  thanks and good luck in 2017. 

Roos Gap

Shawangunk Ridge State Forest

Bashakill WMA

Wurtsboro Ridge Open Space

I grew up on Rosa gap Rd. It's tough on state land, tons of hunters at all of these spots. Not many big deer for the last 20 years I have been there but the big fire a couple years back didn't help either. Shawangunk is probley your best bet. I saw a nice 8 point come out of there last year. A quarter mile away at the house I grew up in there are monsters hidden in overgrown areas. Private land is what you need in that area. Bashkill isn't bad but it's swamp for sure. There is a winery and public parking right next to each other, that's a good spot to enter.

• Like 1