Bow Hunter Education Class..

22Plinker

9 minutes ago, left field said:

It's not just a course, it's a license to bow hunt. And if someone fails they should be required to retake the class.

My Hunter's Ed was a disaster. The guy was so overwhelmed he just screened a silly video from 1972 on safety then handed out tests. When we were done, he took the completed test and handed over the certificate and didn't so much as glance at the answers. 

The instructors told us about a class recently that the class was done in less than 2 hours. A DEC officer showed up to talk to the class and was shocked it was over. The officer tried to get the instructors "de-certified" or at least removed from being instructors. 

3 hours ago, 22Plinker said:

The instructors told us about a class recently that the class was done in less than 2 hours. A DEC officer showed up to talk to the class and was shocked it was over. The officer tried to get the instructors "de-certified" or at least removed from being instructors. 

Wow what a difference. My class took 2 whole days to complete and they went over many different aspects of hunting. All of the instructors cared a lot about it. 

On 8/22/2017 at 11:46 PM, ATbuckhunter said:

Wow what a difference. My class took 2 whole days to complete and they went over many different aspects of hunting. All of the instructors cared a lot about it. 

now you have to do the "homework"/work book and by regulation/law show up with it filled out to participate in testing and field portion.  before than it was always supposed to be two days. first day went through same content as the "homework" that you now do on your own. second day was always field day and testing.  it was a smart move because it requires less from the volunteer instructors.  just too bad when someone shows up with it not complete or they don't even have it.  also the option of paying $30 to take a test that isn't the actual test is deceiving and something DEC needs to straighten out and make more clear.  often people feel cheated out of $30 when they find out they still have to go through the motions and can't just show up for the certificate.

5 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

now you have to do the "homework"/work book and by regulation/law show up with it filled out to participate in testing and field portion.  before than it was always supposed to be two days. first day went through same content as the "homework" that you now do on your own. second day was always field day and testing.  it was a smart move because it requires less from the volunteer instructors.  just too bad when someone shows up with it not complete or they don't even have it.  also the option of paying $30 to take a test that isn't the actual test is deceiving and something DEC needs to straighten out and make more clear.  often people feel cheated out of $30 when they find out they still have to go through the motions and can't just show up for the certificate.

That homework sounds annoying, but to be honest its just basic knowledge. I would be mad if i payed 30 bucks for a test that didnt actually do anything. One thing I just heard that can be done is take the PA hunters ed class online instead of the NY one that way you don't have to show up to a class in person.

43 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

That homework sounds annoying, but to be honest its just basic knowledge. I would be mad if i payed 30 bucks for a test that didnt actually do anything. One thing I just heard that can be done is take the PA hunters ed class online instead of the NY one that way you don't have to show up to a class in person.

it's actually not from what students have said. the ones that do it and do it themselves anyway.  it gets a lot of the basic and tedious stuff out of the way.  better reading it on your own time then being stuck in a class during a summer weekend having someone regurgitate it to you.  now when teaching we have time to hammer home what's on the test again but more importantly concepts not on the test that'll help you be a successful bowhunter, like equipment selection, preparation, shooting, or whatever.  all that stuff a student taking the class might not have a clue where to start or what to think.  many expect to hunt in the fall but don't even have a bow yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

That worked two years ago for the hunting education but they have changed it so you have to go to a live class to get the certificate. The online ed class just completes the homework aspect for the live class. One guy in my bow ed class paid the $30 thinking he would just get his certificate and leave. Not how it works. 

• Like 2

I have been teaching the Bow hunter class for 10 years We always look over students Bows if they want,i check poundage if they want also. Second day which is last when I teach it I have everyone shoot. We have left and right hand genisis bows supplied by the state for those that do not have bows yet.
Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1