Buck Forage oats

I have very fussy deer at my place. They won't eat most of the stuff that food plots are made up of. Last year I planted a whitetail institute mix of mostly peas and a few oats from their oat product. The deer didn't touch the peas but did eat the oats. Hopefully tomorrow I will be planting their trophy oat mix to try. Hopefully I can squeeze planting into getting some real work done and having my son's ninth birthday party!

1 hour ago, growalot said:

36#,s of clover on a 1/2 acre? ...with the oats as well?

Nope....36 Lbs of clover on  1.5 acres.....With oats as well  ..That's 12 lb. clover and 50 lb. oats per 1/2 acre..

I'll  have to check my post  to see if my  writin's written rotten,  to quote my old hero, Popeye...<<grin>>....

Ya that was 1/2... They are browsing a little in the stuff I planted early...but they are doing what I wanted...today while checking the legumes and turnips in them bam! beds scattered all over It's just high enough now to cover them to their shoulders so they can look around...I found this in the old hay field which is now corn. The farmer would do just one late summer cutting and by late Sept the field would be back up a foot or more. I can not tell you the number of time we pulled into the drive at night and that field would be filled with deer and a sea of racks..We'd back up and count 15 20 BUCK racks and they were big...OMG I miss the hay field I truly do...I got so many great pictures out of that field as they walked and fed through it year round.

PS So happy with rye...jury is out on the wheat ...

• 11 months later...
On 8/26/2017 at 3:52 PM, Pygmy said:

I planted the oats today...1/2 acre in forage oats and one acre in  feed oats, so I'll get a good, side by side comparison..

I seeded 36 pounds of clover mix  with the oats...Now it would be nice to get a little rain in the next few days..

How did the side by side comparison work out for you? Would you spend the extra $ for the fancy oats again?

4 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

How did the side by side comparison work out for you? Would you spend the extra $ for the fancy oats again?

The fancy oats definitely did better and stayed greener longer than the seed oats...However the deer seemed to like one  as much of the other...I still haven't decided which way I will go this year...SOOO many decisions to make  <<sigh>>….

16 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

The fancy oats definitely did better and stayed greener longer than the seed oats...However the deer seemed to like one  as much of the other...I still haven't decided which way I will go this year...SOOO many decisions to make  <<sigh>>….

How's the hellgrammite harvest going?

Edited by Lawdwaz

13 hours ago, Pygmy said:

At $35 for 50# of the fancy verses $8 for bin run oats, I know what my choice would be, LOL.

The difference will pay for the fertilizer.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2017 at 9:39 PM, b3h said:

I've used buck forage oats a couple of times with clover and had good results except last years small strip that was consumed by late October. My experiences seem to be that the bfo are like candy to the deer. I have 4 strips along wood edges that are getting bfo and clover this year. There are plenty of ag crops nearby so they get candy from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can put any type of a good protein source in front of a deer, this late in the game and they will consume it.