Cooler for deer

JFB

Likely a dumb question to those who are handy or know hvac well, but I'm in the plan stage for a pole barn and wondered how involved or costly it would be to have a small walk in cooler to age deer? Not sure if it matters but I'm already planning on a wall heating unit for heating the building in winter but didn't know how easy it might be to cool a small room off to keep it at 40 degrees when I want. Anyone know? 

you can frame the walls to take fiberglass insulation, use a good insulated door. yes you can use a window air conditioner and wire in a coolbot controller  but the ac unit needs to be digitally controlled, the old turn dial style air conditioners can not be converted .

the coolbot units i have done will bring the temps down to mid 30's.  for deer coolers I have installed remote thermostats so that the temps can be monitored without opening the door to check on the temps.

• Like 1

I'm not sure your investment is worth it up north. Sure early season and weird weather can be warmer than we like, but mostly you'll have good hanging weather. Of course the issue is if your barn is heated. I like the idea of an insulated partitioned room with a window and cheap a/c unit. When you get into refrigeration you get expensive quick.

do you plan to age the deer or just keep it cool over night? sometimes just a few bags of sealed ice in the chest is all you need on warm days. 

Uncle owned a towing company and recovered a tractor pulling a Cisco trailer years ago trailer was totaled and my uncle bought it for scrap refer unit was fine. No idea what they insulated the walls with but its about 8x8 easily holds 6 deer and will keep ice frozen in the heat of the summer. During the fall it uses less than a gallon of fuel a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1