G5 Deadmeat

eagle rider

17 hours ago, eagle rider said:

Here is an interesting hillbilly science project.  Same bow, target, arrow, date/time, moon phase, tide, Chinese new year, truck and coffee mug.  Rage 2 blade practice tip vs. G5 Deadmeat ballistic matched tip.  3" deeper penetration for G5.  That is a 29" 340 Easton Nemesis (weighs 494 grs) out of a Diamond Carbon Cure at 65 pounds.  The arrow is 272 fps.  That is 81' lbs.  The Rage is the red vanes and the yellow vanes in the G5.  12% better penetration with the G5!!!!

IMG_6417.jpg

IMG_6416.jpg

Like you said, though, that is just the practice tip. The BMP is shaped in a way conducive to getting through a foam target but the rage isn't as much. I would expect G5 to penetrate better than rage, though. but the rage ought to do more damage if it avoids bone due to greater cutting surface.

You need a new target. Get yourself a heavy bag target for $40-50 from field and stream--one set for a crossbow. I replaced that exact same blackhole with one this year and it makes a joke out of my vertical bow. I get a few inches penetration all day long. It won't work a damn for broadheads, though, so get yourself a rinehart 18-1 instead :)

2 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Also, Core, what is 5 or 10$ if it makes or breaks a hunt? or should I say,  makes or breaks a harvest or 2 per season, or more? 

It's really little, and it's why I learned my lesson on cheap broadheads. I won't use cheap heads again, but I'm not at all convinced that $50 is money well spent on these when other very well reputed heads are in the 30's. If somebody has a study showing a scientifically valid proof that these broadheads hit really close to field tips--appreciably better than rage or similar I'll go and spend $50 today. 

Results with a hooter shooter or something would be nice to see.

I like the idea of getting a collection of BMPs and using them for all field-tip shooting, though. If they really do hit like the head, you'd never have to broadhead test.

https://www.bowhunting.com/blog/2017/10/23/g5-deadmeat-broadhead-field-test-review/

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Core said:

Like you said, though, that is just the practice tip. The BMP is shaped in a way conducive to getting through a foam target but the rage isn't as much. I would expect G5 to penetrate better than rage, though. but the rage ought to do more damage if it avoids bone due to greater cutting surface.

You need a new target. Get yourself a heavy bag target for $40-50 from field and stream--one set for a crossbow. I replaced that exact same blackhole with one this year and it makes a joke out of my vertical bow. I get a few inches penetration all day long. It won't work a damn for broadheads, though, so get yourself a rinehart 18-1 instead :)

The BMP is signigicantly wider than the Rage practice tip.  Shooting long access on a foam block would cause more resistance, yet it was 3" deeper......  

1 hour ago, eagle rider said:

The BMP is signigicantly wider than the Rage practice tip.  Shooting long access on a foam block would cause more resistance, yet it was 3" deeper......  

Try a few more shots see if results are the same? But the thing is still smooth and doesn't grab foam in the same way the rage tip might.

Redemption shot yesterday afternoon.  I took a descent size vesion donation doe.  She walked in alone.  G5 Deadmeat into the boiler room.  She made it all of 10 yards.  Had a young six come in earlier but no shot and we will see what he look like next year.  I put one of those Montana Decoy "Estrus Betty" doe out at in front of the stand with a few drops of estrus on a wick in front her.  It is amazing how that locked up that 6!  A few estrus bleats and he was absolutely in love. Pretty cool to watch.  All told I had 6 deer at that stand between 2:00 and 3:45 when I shot her.  Back to the subject at hand.  I high lunged her from 23 yds  off a 12' stand (low canopy on that spot).  She ran into a muddy spot at the edge of a creek.  My guess is she got stuck and started thrashing which is why she only made it that far.  The Deadmeat fully deployed all three blades.  Arrow looked like someone painted it red.  Where she stood was a bloody mess.  Both lungs were cut.  The shot was a little high up so she held a lot of blood inside. I'm happy with the result and the harvest was about as merciful as an arrow can be.  Plus some Hillary voters will get to eat good deer burgers for me doing my part.  A win / win I suppose.  

Edited by eagle rider
  • Like 1

Anyone know anything about these?  I bought a pack yesterday.  After Friday with the shoulder hit buck, I want something tougher than Rage.
I wanted to try them. I thought g5 were considered barbed . Did they change the design from their original mechanical design ?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aboa13 said:

I wanted to try them. I thought g5 were considered barbed . Did they change the design from their original mechanical design ?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

yes, the blades all move independently of each other.  Its a ball and socket on the back of each blade.  The blades don't interlock into one another when they deploy.  I think the Havoc's did and we're considered barbed.  The Deadmeat's don't.  I will also say that the Ramcats look interesting as well.  Watch this clip.  He talks about this at the end of the video.

Edited by eagle rider

49 minutes ago, travisrage said:

They are 100% barbed. They do not fold back like rages. Ethically if a bad shot is taken and there isn’t a pass through that head ain’t comming out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stainless steel three blade mechanical broadhead with snap-loc blade retention system for easy blade lock down and reliable deployment. Considered barb-less, making it legal in all states that allow mechanical broadheads. Cutting Diameter: 1.5". "

• Like 1

9 hours ago, travisrage said:

They are 100% barbed. They do not fold back like rages. Ethically if a bad shot is taken and there isn’t a pass through that head ain’t comming out

they absolutely fold back.  Got first hand experience with it.  

• 3 weeks later...

Open the head up . Hold the shaft and pull the broadhead back through your hand ! They will not fold back. Got first hand experience . That’s why a buddy shoots em he wants it to stay in and destroy the deer inside out no matter what and why the t3 are illegal in ny.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2017 at 8:32 PM, travisrage said:

Open the head up . Hold the shaft and pull the broadhead back through your hand ! They will not fold back. Got first hand experience . That’s why a buddy shoots em he wants it to stay in and destroy the deer inside out no matter what and why the t3 are illegal in ny.

I did this yesterday night.  When opened any rearward pressure on the backs of the blades make then slide back into the slots on the ferrule they ride in.  They don't collapse forward like a forward deploying design will, but they do retract.

This is getting ridiculous, but it you apply any rearward pressure to the far tips of the blades they slide back into the ferrule.  Hence forming an angle of less than 90 degrees and not barbed.  It does this because each blade rides on its own track and don't interlocking like the Havoc's do and the Rage 3 blades.