NY senators push for new gun law

http://news10.com/2018/01/17/ny-senators-push-for-new-gun-law/

The article states “If a person is exhibiting warning signs, family members or law enforcement would be able to recommend to a court that their guns be taken away. The courts could then keep those guns away for up to a year. They would be able to appeal, however.

The article also states “Sen. Brian Kavanagh listed what is a warning sign.  “Prior violent behavior, erratic behavior, evidence of substance or alcohol abuse, prior violations involving guns,” he said.” 

First and foremost anyone who is an actual violent sociopath should not have access to firearms or any other weapon. 

Still the language used and who can trigger a person to lose possession of their firearms should concern everyone.  I quoted some very troubling aspects of this proposed law.  Think about the following:

·         A “family member” can recommend your firearms removed?  So your gun control fanatic relative uses this law to have your firearms removed by reporting on you? 

·         Would “prior violent behavior” include legitimate self defense, studying martial arts or military service all of which involved some degrees of “violent behavior”? 

·         What is their definition of “erratic behavior”?  That is a can of worms.   

·         How would they rate the severity of “evidence of substance or alcohol abuse”?  Using one too many pain killers due to a back injury or getting drunk at a wedding with your gun control    relative watching you? 

I see this as more by hook or crook the gun control elitists of New York move to further take firearms away for its law abiding citizens. 

In retrospect to this New York gun control nonsense is the fact that the politicians avoid dealing with real root causes of gun violence.  The major root causes of gun violence is the distribution, sale and use of illegal drugs, the failed mental health system and the failed welfare system that enables single mothers whose children are at high risk for being victims of crime or becoming criminals.

• Like 2

You're correct. This can only lead to abuse. I think you explained what would happen if such a law was passed. And you can only imagine how this would be expanded in time.

Doctors would ask if there are guns in the house and there would be legal repercussions if you lied.

Our only long term solution is to vote for pro-freedom people of any party.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 2

You're correct. This can only lead to abuse. I think you explained what would happen if such a law was passed. And you can only imagine how this would be expanded in time.

Doctors would ask if there are guns in the house and there would be legal repercussions if you lied.

Our only long term solution is to vote for pro-freedom people of any party.

Preferably Republicans

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Preferably Republicans

Yeah. I deleted the sentence that pro-freedom people excludes the modern Democratic Party.

It's a shame that a major political party has such contempt for individual liberty and the principles which this country was founded on.

• Like 2

This is the scary part:  "Connecticut, Indiana, California and Washington have already passed similar bills."
It is already making its way into law in other states.
That is scary. We need to hire (elect) people who respect us instead of electing people who no better than we do on how to run our lives.

• Like 1

That is scary. We need to hire (elect) people who respect us instead of electing people who no better than we do on how to run our lives.

Then we need to get gun owners out and voting. There is too low of voter participation. It's pathetic. Had there been greater turnout NYC likely would not have been plagued by round two of the world's shittiest mayor, Mayor Deblasio.

Senator Kavanagh represents lower Manhattan and North Brooklyn.  That section of New York State where upstaters do NOT have reciprocity for their pistol permits to carry in NYC even though upstaters go through the same background investigations.  Discrimination?  Impossible in human rights advanced New York State according to Governor Cuomo.

Kavanagh voted YES for the SAFE Act which has proven to have NOT reduced gun violence, but does prohibit and restrict law abiding citizens form rifles that LOOK like military assault rifles and other useless other laws .  Apparently since the SAFE Act has not worked, Kavanagh and his gun control supporters want to create more useless SAFE Act type laws that will NOT reduced gun violence, but does prohibit and restrict law abiding citizens.  Why do they hate guns so much?  

If politicians really cared about reducing or eliminating gun violence  gun control politicians would attack the TRUE root causes of gun violence  like the distribution, sale and use of illegal drugs, the failed mental health system and the failed welfare system that enables single mothers whose children are at high risk for being victims of crime or becoming criminals.  Obviously they cannot handle the truth.

8 hours ago, mayo said:

No problem.  If the questionnaire states "guns", you say NO because you own "firearms", NOT "guns".

Drill sergeant handed me an M16A1 rifle and told me this is my rifle, this is my gun (pointing to male genitals), one is for killing (The drill sergeant really did not mean that since that would constitute violent behavior, we only SAY Bang! Bang! in combat.), the others for fun.  So I guess if you have "male genitals" in the house, show them to the doctor and tell them here is my GUN!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mayo said:

I am telling you...this is the guy to back

Assemblyman

Brian M. Kolb

Assembly District 131

kolb.png

3 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Then we need to get gun owners out and voting. There is too low of voter participation. It's pathetic. Had there been greater turnout NYC likely would not have been plagued by round two of the world's shittiest mayor, Mayor Deblasio.

This also.......gun owners can control their destiny. Gun owners are the overwhelming majority and didn't show up at the polls.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 3

What is going to happen when legalization of marijuana (people smoke it for ONE reason to become intoxicated a sign of mental illness) is presented in Albany?  Will Senator. Brian Kavanagh and all his fellow SAFE Act supporters vote NO?  I do not think so since the Democratic platform support legalizing marijuana,  gun control, free college tuition, welfare and all those other useless ideas to cure the ills of society.

Senator Brian Kavanagh  did say he would take guns away from those who have  “evidence of substance"  and those who smoke marijuana do it always and every time to become intoxicated.  

Senator. Brian Kavanagh and all his fellow SAFE Act supporters should do more to fight illegal drugs, the failed mental health system that allows violent mentally ill people loose in public and the failed welfare system.

• Like 1