Air Guns for Small Game

Airguns will be legal this fall to hunt some small game in NYS .There was an article in last Sunday's Rochester D&C (7/4/10) . So shooting varmints in your back yard with an airgun has been illegal all along . No doubt the state expects folks with pellet pistols / rifles to be buying licenses in order to shoot troublesome squirrels that are around the house . The requirement is that the gun must exceed 600 fps .

yeah i heard this as well. i read in my paper a few weeks ago and elderly man was arrested after shooting a squirl in his back yard with a pellot gun.

heres the add

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/crime/e-northport-man-81-gets-30-days-in-squirrel-killing-1.1926765

30 days for killing a squirrel and then calling it animal abuse. So I guess when we go squirrel hunting, we are committing "animal abuse". So now we have anti-hunting statutes written into our laws. I'm sure the animal rights crowd would just love to get hunting defined as "animal abuse" everywhere.

Doc

According the my talks with the DEC, the air gun was not classified. People were using them to shoot game with. The DEC had to come out with a regulation to satisify some issues people had.

Hard to tell why the old guy was arrested, maybe some law against shooting one in town. Pissed off neighbor anti who knows.

Ah see I looked at the article, he was charged for animal abuse, yes he's now a felon. You can thank the HSUS for that law.

Charged as a Felon for shooting a squirrel with an airgun . Kinda stupid !

Are they going to start putting folks in jail for setting rat / mouse traps or will we be required to have a Trapping License . I know it would be rediculous but it's something that could be required . Another way to pay the NYS Budget !  :O ... :O ... :O

Someone should trap some squirrels and rats and release them in the neighbors house that called.  Going to jail at the age of eighty one, the neighbors that called should be ashamed of calling police on an eightyone year old man.

I was at a Garage Sale two years ago . A woman in Ontario was selling a small Have-a-heart trap . A woman that was looking around ashed her how it worked and what she trapped . The lady having the sale said she had trapped several chipmonks so the other woman said , "where do you release them" ? The sale lady said down in Walworth at Dolomite Park on Lewis Road . The other lady said , "dammit , I live on Lewis Road . So that's why there are so many chipmonks" ! But ......... she bought the trap .

I was at a Garage Sale two years ago . A woman in Ontario was selling a small Have-a-heart trap . A woman that was looking around ashed her how it worked and what she trapped . The lady having the sale said she had trapped several chipmonks so the other woman said , "where do you release them" ? The sale lady said down in Walworth at Dolomite Park on Lewis Road . The other lady said , "dammit , I live on Lewis Road . So that's why there are so many chipmonks" ! But ......... she bought the trap .

It's against the law to catch and release an animal unless you own the property or have permission. In most cases the animal has to be destroyed.

Why send your problem to another person or block of woods.

I've been thinking about getting a good air gun for small game because they are quieter than a .22.  My buddy has that Gamo rifle with the whisper thing on the muzzle that looks like a silencer.  Once you get over 1000 fps with an airgun they get pretty loud.  So this thing helps to quiet it.

I think his is a .17 caliber too.  I'd prefer a .22 caliber for rabbits and squirrels though.

bpb you may legally trap animals on your own property or do it for someone who asks you to. all animals must be destroyed(DEC"s word not mine) on the property. UNLESS you hold a NYS nuisance wildlife permit. Then you can transport live animals to a place where A you can destroy(DEC's word again) and bury them OR release them on property which you have permission to release live animals. YEAH RIGHT like some farmer will let you release coons in his sweet corn.