Polaris Sportsman

So if all of the stars align for me this week, I will be bringing home a 2000 Polaris Sportsman 500. It will be my first 4wd Wheeler, as I was always into sport quads and damn near killing myself on them, so it will be a change for me. I am looking forward to using it for hunting, plowing the driveway and other tasks. Of course Ill be in the market for some accessories, and figured Id ask some opinions on a few of them. First, a gear bag. What do you guys use for holding your gear, etc? Second, an open gun rack or a hard shell one? Third, a bow rack, what works for you? Ill be using my 4x8 trailer for hauling the wheeler, as well as hauling things behind it, so Im good there. Any other must haves?

Open handle bar mount gun rack....and if you get the ones with the little rubber fingers , many are large enough to drop a compound (or crossbow) right in.

On my list is an extended cargo carrier. Makes getting gear in and game out so much easier.

This is the one I am thinking about

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/atv-rear-drop-basket-from-guide-gear-.aspx?a=686906

I think the built in boxes are on the newer ones Burt.

Culver, are those mounts easy on the optics or shouldnt I worry about that? That rack looks great. Have you seen that thing you can mount on the front and pick a deer up onto the front rack? I saw it years ago and it looked cool. Let me see if I can find it....

Culver, are those mounts easy on the optics or shouldnt I worry about that? That rack looks great.

Well let me put it to you this way. If I was really riding with a gun on it I would use the hard scabbard. Like out west and having to head miles and miles in at a good clip. Around here mine has never gotten even bumped. If I had to head through the woods and not over a trail or field I would sling it over my shoulder and neck anyway. I chose the open rack on mine so I could put my Bow or Gun in it to travel.

I have seen that loader before and it is pretty cool I haven't needed one as long as I can find a tree near me because I figured out a way to do it using a ratchet strap and my winch.

I guess the biggest thing Id be worried about is if I need to go through any brush with my gun on there and having it get scratched up, or the possibility of getting mud all over it if I have to go through any. I might just get both, the handlebar one for my bow and the hard case for my guns. Ill let someone get me the hard one for a gift though lol.

Betcha I could build that lift for alot less than they are selling them for, and mine would be better.  :P

I would recommend the hard scabbard for rifle instead of the open gun mounts. First the hard case protects the gun in all types of weather. Second the open mounts on the front of the bike can present problems especially when there may be close calls moving along logging roads and bumping into trees that can damage the gun and scope.

Dave

I would recommend the hard scabbard for rifle instead of the open gun mounts. First the hard case protects the gun in all types of weather. Second the open mounts on the front of the bike can present problems especially when there may be close calls moving along logging roads and bumping into trees that can damage the gun and scope.

Dave

I will have to look at mine but the wheeler is 4' width and I don't think my rifle over hangs the sides

Dave

I will have to look at mine but the wheeler is 4' width and I don't think my rifle over hangs the sides

When you could find the most damage is when you are turning and a the gun could be bumped.

that's why I use a hard plastic scabard  mounted on the side not front mount open end rubber attachments.

Dave

Once plugged a trailer into my Blazer and there was a faulty ground wire, it burned the wire harness in the Blazer. Cost me about 700 bucks to fix, that was back in 1988-89. Yes trailer wiring sucks. Good luck picking up the quad, enjoy!

A regular 4 pin connector has a ground built in, so do the 7 pin rounds. You just have to have a good ground from the connector to the truck and another from the trailer plug to the trailer. For some crazy reason, the passenger side light housing could not get a good ground on that side of the trailer through the bracket to the frame, so just that one wouldnt work. I ended up running a ground to the drivers side housing and everything was good. Pain in the ass figuring it out.

After the deal getting sketchy on the Sportsman 500 I thought I was picking up, I decided not to go with that one. Today I came across a deal I couldnt turn down, so I went with it. Its a 99 Polaris Sportsman 335. Its the same wheeler as the 500, feature wise, frame wise and everything, it just has the smaller engine. It will be a good wheeler for now, and eventually it will be going to my fiance and I will get a bigger one for myself. Here she is, time to start accessorizing!  ;D

2011-05-22190131.jpg

Yeah its in very good shape. The first owner was an older man that had it from 2000 till last year, and put 3700 miles on it, but was meticulous with the upkeep. I have all of the records from him. The second owner that I bought it from, only put 7 miles on it, and let it sit in his garage. It was an impulse buy for him and he needed the money, so put it up for sale. It has always been garage kept, and will continue to be. I am going to go through and do all of the maintenance in the next couple of weeks, just so I know for sure when it was done last. I have looked at wheelers lately that are half the age with more miles on them. I think it was a good buy.