Anyone from Staten Island?

Sogaard

How about that deer population explosion over the past few years?  I use to see groups of 1-3 every now and then.  Now I see groups of 8-12+ fairly regularly when I go hiking in certain areas.  This is also the first year I have seen dead deer on 440 and even some streets.

Last year I had 2 eight pointers and a seven passing behind my house reguarly. There were also 2 other bucks in the area I had trailcam pictures of. And they aren't even the big bucks.  A friend of mine had a picture of a 12-14 pointer.

As the car accidents increase along with the deer population, what do you think the city will do?

• 3 weeks later...

The city will probably do the same thing they are doing out on long island and in residential areas in New Jersey. People will come in at night and kill them. The city did it with the Geese at Prospect Park too.

Also i did not know Staten Island had that kind of deer population. Probably some really good shed hunting out there.

I wish!

The city has so many money problems. They could hve a lottery for SI residents, archery only. You'd raise tens of thousands of dollars.  That would be much better than bringing in pros as wasting all the beautiful bucks on the island.

Irondiquoit had a deer problem and the town was paying off duty cops to do "Bait 'n Shoots" . It was costing them a lot of money . They went to letting archers who had to be certified do a controlled shoot and it has been working well for the town . Plus , they don't have to buy donuts for the archers !  :;)

• 2 months later...

I have noticed the same, tons of deer.. i was at wolfes pond park and saw some deer in the woods, also saw a few in richmond town as well. the population is booming. As for a hunt i highly doubt it would happen. too many tree huggers and "animal lovers" wgo dont understand over population damage and conservation concepts.  any trail pics you can post?

• 2 months later...