Flat open fields ?

A6A6

hEY GUYS.

Im trying to find a couple of good spots to scout out for next season predator hunting .

Anywhere in Region 3 or Region 4.

I am really looking for some open fields with high ground or rock cliffs to post up on.

Pheasant fields would even do.. if anyone knows of release spots.

I want to get on it now so I can scout and  get a plan going for  next season.

Rifle area's are optimal.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes you can hunt with rifles in rifle areas..But region 3 in dutchess county has a no rifle law till after deer season...I could be wrong,but not taking a chance...This is what a dec officer said...can we clarify this ???

You are correct Martin,

Rifle of any caliber is OK before or after the deer season. For example Oct 1 you can hunt coyote in Putnam and Dutchess but when the deer season starts (any deers season including archery) on Oct 16 you need a shotgun until after New Year then you OK with Rifles again.

I wrote to the DEC to explain this to me and they did a great job, so I'm sharing this here...

So, if I understand all this correctly, not only do they have only part of the year available to hunt coyotes (a season), but then they further eliminate the main weapon of choice for hunting them during the open deer seasons in some areas which is also a pretty good chunk of the year. That leaves only the bitterest, time of the year when knee-deep (or higher) snow and cold keeps most hunters hunkered down at home. You know, that doesn't leave a whole lot of actual time during the year when you can effectively hunt those critters. The reality of it is that some places, the coyote is a nearly completely protected species. No wonder the populations are exploding.

Doc

Must be something different where I am. I see them in open areas all the time.

Regardless...I will be looking to nail a few of them this year. Since getting that first one...I'm hooked. Even talked the wife to coming with me a few times last year.

This way she can watch my back.

....The good news is she hasn't even asked why I make her wear the fur coat and antler hat.

Good Luck to everyone & stay safe!

• 1 month later...

The real reason for no center fires during deer season on yotes is, DEC doesn't trust someone will jack a monster buck that comes around while they are 'yote hunting..  I think they are a nuisance animal with no 'control' predator higher on the food chain, so they should be open season year round..

• 1 year later...

Must be something different where I am. I see them in open areas all the time.

Regardless...I will be looking to nail a few of them this year. Since getting that first one...I'm hooked. Even talked the wife to coming with me a few times last year.

This way she can watch my back.

....The good news is she hasn't even asked why I make her wear the fur coat and antler hat.

Good Luck to everyone & stay safe!

You see yotes in open fields in Putnam? where at?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...