Maine Moose Permit

hunter

I was thinking of a Trip to new foundland,Tags threw an outfitter.With my luck I'll go there and then hit the lottery in Maine and New Hapmshire.Boy,will my wife kill me!BTW,any one know when the drawing date is in Vermont?Can't seem to find it on their website.

Good luck in the drawing..I applied in Maine for about 20 years and finally gave up...NH and Vermont are a little better odds to draw...

Probably the best draw odds in the East is New Brunswick.. Last time I applied there NR draw odds were around 1 in 20.. I drew a tag there in 2004...

I did not apply anywhere this year, because I am booked to go to Newfoundland in September... The Rock has OTC tags and many camps have very high success rates, some over 90%...

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Put in and shut down again. They were up last night, just click on the moose lottery and you can find the results. Good luck.

One of my friends who lives in Maine put in for bull only in just two zones and got drawn. Lucky SOB.

• 10 months later...

From what I read,Their cutting way back on the number of permits this year.Their blaming "Global warming" on the cause.Warmer temps cause more ticks and throws the animals internal clocks off.In some area's they say the moose populations have dropped considerably.

Tags are plentiful in Quebec ( 2 people per tag) but success rates are generaly fairly low , perhaps around 10% average, and a lot of those French Canadian outfitters are crooks..I have heard a LOT of negative stuff about moose hunting in Quebec, and very little positive.

If you go with an outfitter in Ontario you have a reasonable chance to draw a tag, as outfitters are alloted a certain number.. Success rates aren't high, but are better than Quebec...If you apply for a tag in the general lottery, it takes at least 8 people to draw one bull or cow tag..hardly a good option for nonresidents.

I'm waiting for the results of the New Brunswick lottery May 14th.... NB  has about a 1/20 draw ratio for nonresidents and better success rates than Ontario or Quebec.

Back in the late 80's, we went to Ontario for our moose hunt. What we found was that farther is better. The locals put some pretty good pressure on themoose population in the southern area. We went up to an outfitter in Shining Tree, and rented one of his cabins just to satisfy the law that required the services of an outfitter. We spent the first night and then dragged all our stuff for 40 miles of dirt road. We put in two canoes and a small motor boat and went the length of the first lake. A 150 yard portage into another lake and then all the way to the end of that lake into the swampy end. We set up camp, and never heard or saw another person for the days that we were there. No cabins, nothing. Third morning there we were packing our moose out. Went back to the outfitter's camp and shoved the moose into their walk-in freezer and had the guy cook up the liver for us and we spent the night in the cabin that we rented. Tags were no problem at all back then. we had bull tags, cow tags and calf tags. Of course that was quite a few years ago. 

The entire trip was planned right down to the last detail right from our offices at work. A little topo work, a lot of reading, and some phone calls and away we went.

Yeah, Doc, those were the "good old days" in Ontario..

Not too long ago, an Ontario NR moose license was over the counter and it was good for any moose, bull, cow or calf.. Now, unless you buy one of an outfitter's alloted tags, you need to have half your neighborhood apply along with you to draw one  adult moose tag. Tags are also sex specific although everyone gets a calf tag with thier license.. However, odds of  seeing a calf are low and not many hunters want  to spend the time and money to drive hundreds of miles to shoot a calf ...

It used to be that you had to hire the services of an outfitter (not a guide) in order for a non-resident to hunt moose in Ontario. I assume it probably is that way now. Part of the deal was that he supplied whatever tags you need. Our guy had plenty of them, so it wasn't an issue.

Probably new Owners. I can't remember the old man's name, but he is probably dead now anyway. And his kid's would have been the next in line and his name was Brandon and his wife I think was Cindy. But that was a lot of years ago .... lol. It was a great place with a bar/restaurant and some pretty basic cabins (that we only used for one night).

• 1 month later...

Unbelievable, I got drawn for a moose permit this year. Better yet I got a bull tag. I am insanely happy and have already started making plans. My friend who lives in Maine is gonna guide me free of charge and I have several lodges calling me already.One has a cabin for $650 for the week which is great. My son in law is gonna come with me and hunt bear.

• Like 2

Congrats  !!  That is almost like hitting the lottery..

I know a LOT of people who have applied a LOT of years, and I don't personally know ANYONE who has ever drawn in Maine.

I'm happy for your good fortune..