Scouting This Morning

DirtTime

I am going to be honest, I didn't get to far in on one land, and never made it to he top of another. Just driving there I was sweating like Saratoga Horse after a race.

I didn't see any new rubs, too early IMO, still in velvet around here. I did actually see a few does with fawns, I didn't expect to see deer, just look for tracks in mud. Yes, in the woods where the sun hasn't dried up everything and hold some shade there are still some places holding mud.

I got some insight on the first outing, but holy crap was it hot. I love scouting, but this morning was about as much fun as sunbathing in the dryer part of a car wash without the wind.

Days like this make me wish I had my own land and trail cams. 

• 2 weeks later...
rob what public land are you scouting?  i might be able to steer you to some good spots.
That day was Black Creek Marsh and Kier. No Thacher this year most likely, turned in my report after the deadline. They are strict on that, yet people put out bait, still puzzles me.
I am not sure about Burke this year, some nice deer over there, but I want to try and get some time in at Cole.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Rob... said:

That day was Black Creek Marsh and Kier. No Thacher this year most likely, turned in my report after the deadline. They are strict on that, yet people put out bait, still puzzles me.
I am not sure about Burke this year, some nice deer over there, but I want to try and get some time in at Cole.

sounds like your into the area around Berne and west of Albany.  Farther than i really go.  I got nothin. lol

sounds like your into the area around Berne and west of Albany.  Farther than i really go.  I got nothin. lol
Yeah, mainly SW. My reasoning to try Cole this year was all the wild game we see towards that area on fishing trips. First time to hit Greene Lake I lost count on deer and turkey.

On 8/19/2018 at 3:59 PM, Rob... said:

Yeah, mainly SW. My reasoning to try Cole this year was all the wild game we see towards that area on fishing trips. First time to hit Greene Lake I lost count on deer and turkey.

well by chance if i hunt out that way i'll let you know.  i've got nothing to gain from keeping secrets. lol at least on public land.

Partridge Run and Cole Hill, hold good numbers of deer. And some mature bucks as well. And surprisingly, you can find great spots, without coming in contact with other hunters. Thacher with the baiting, and constantly changing rules, is a joke anymore. Most are hunting the Carrick Rd. side of Thacher, from what I've seen. On the Ryan Rd. side, not too many were killed last year. And it seems to be overcrowded, for the small area. Shame for sure. Martha Burke is another good spot, but again, can get crowded as well.