Letchworth State park

First-light

On vacation the next two weeks, thinking about bringing the kids over to the state park and exploring. Any tips out there what to do and not to do?

Anything else in the area while I'm over there that would be cool for the kids?

Thanks

Theres nothing in the park that you would be disappointed with, see all of it. You can walk across the train bridge, but Im not sure how old your kids are, its a pretty rough hike up to the tracks and there are no safety measures, as its an active railroad. The view from the bridge is worth it though. One trail that really gives great views is the Wolf creek trail. Also, the ice cream shop at the dam overlook has pretty good Perrys ice cream, which is made locally. If you get lunch in the park, there is a little resteraunt near the lower falls that has pretty decent food.

Up in Geneseo there is a warplane museum. Its small but cool if you are into that kind of thing. In Leicster there is NY International Raceway, which is a drag track.

If I think of anything else, Ill let you know.

Oh, if you are going to be out that way for a couple of days, Stony Brook park in Dansville is a great place to take a day trip as well.

As a enginer..please don't walk across the bridge..i'd hate to see you or you family running over uneven ballast/ties for your life. it would be bad for you but think of how i would feel needing over a mile to stop if i killed one of your loved ones....

The bridge isnt just ties, there are catwalks up there for maintenance and the trains have to cross at something like 5 or 10 mph, you can walk almost as fast as they go. Also, there is plenty of room between the sides of the trains and the catwalk area. Ive stood on that bridge and taken pictures of trains passing over it.

Ill see if I cant dig up some of the pics of it and from on it.

Yeah, youll love it. We go 4 or 5 times each year at least. Its a great place to just get away from things and have a picnic or go hiking, we also camp there once or twice a year.

Buck, what county is the park in?

Dave

There is also a small museum there that has Native American artifacts and an old mastodon skull too.

Yep, lots of artifacts on there.

I almsot forgot, theres a small park in Cuylerville, not far from Letchworth where theres a tree that has a pretty significant story about it. Kind of neat to see. Heres the story...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dangler/4927805789/#

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back. 10 days at camp, had a great time. The park was cool, we set up at Trout pond and fished for a while, kids caught a mess of fish. The falls were great and there were plenty of areas to get great pictures. We will be going back in August. We stayed off the train bridge! Hawk was flying around in the canyon!

post-211-131455458592_thumb.jpg

post-211-131455458613_thumb.jpg

post-211-131455458636_thumb.jpg

post-211-131455458662_thumb.jpg

There is also a small museum there that has Native American artifacts and an old mastodon skull too.

Yep, lots of artifacts on there.

I almsot forgot, theres a small park in Cuylerville, not far from Letchworth where theres a tree that has a pretty significant story about it. Kind of neat to see. Heres the story...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dangler/4927805789/#

Thanks for sharing that was an amazing story.

Dave