summer chat

sbuff

to slow on here,anyone buy a new ML loader this year...

with bullet prices going up and up,I have been stocking up on black powder and XTP's I hope to try some speer deep curls / gold dots as soon as they come in.

There ya go,I use my muzzle loader year round but with the early and extended seasons its a great way to get out before the gun seasons start.

What are you planning on shooting for powder and bullet

Was it the Lyman or WGRS peep site. You might need a taller front site. I had to get one from TC for my X7 . No charge of course they have great customer service.

My x7 came with a peep sight and I got good groups but always shot high. I really like peep sights but just couldn't get it to shoot right, maybe the front sight post was the problem. I ended up putting a scope on it and it shoots real well now.

Rob1114 give TC a shout and they will mail you a taller front site no charge. Just tell them your issue.Did your X7 come with the green or red front site.If your peep was the lowest on the plain,you need a taller site.It was common with the X7 from what I have seen and read.MY X7 is a tack driver with a bunch of bullets.The latest bullet I have been testing is the .452 300gr Deep Curl / Gold dots from Speer.Awsome bullets on paper.I have not shot a deer with them but many have,dead on the spot.Curretn deer bullets is the 350gr FPB

Eddie,thos NEF are great too,my heritage/sidekick willl shoot anything I load down the barrel.With the addtion of a metrics unlimitted breach pulg there is no need for those orange primer carriers.The 209 just sits in the plug like a TC or CVA plug.

I hope to head to the range Friday mornig to shoot my White and some 460gr No Excuses along with some more deep curls and XTP's of out my X7

I put a tang peep sight on my TC Hawken about 15 years ago..Seems like it was made/marketed by TC..I really can't remember.. I had to adjust the rear peep UP quite a ways, but the bead front sight works well with it..

I shot PRBs for deer for years, but tried the Noexcuses 460 conicals when working up an elk load in 2004...They shoot so well and are so easy to load, I never went back to the PRBs.

sbuff --- some folks don't like the NEF in-lines because of the Primer Holder . I have arthritis in my fingers and the Orange primer holders make it easy to use plus if you see the orange tab , you can figure it's raedy to fire .

The primer carriers were nice and a good visual for safety to know if it was loaded. I got about 10 or so shots out of each one.I do a lot of shooting so they got expensive.when I switched to black horn209 I had to get the metrics unlimited plug in order to ignite it 100% all  the time.

Red is what you want but I would suspect you needed a taller front site.TC will mail you one. What loads does your x7 like. My hunting load is the fpb but the Xtp and deep curls are Sweeeet too

I shoot 250gr Shockwaves with 100 grains of pryrodex pellets. It's a simple load that shoots well. I have been shooting a little more often this summer so I have been thinking about trying something different. I have been looking at getting some hornady's SSTs and maybe some cheap TC sabots to plink with at the range.

I have had this omega for two years now but haven't hunted with it much. I do most of my muzzleloading hunting with my flintlock Lyman GPR but I am really like the omega this summer so I think I may use it more this fall 

I use to  take my NEF all season long but after getting my X7 this will be my go to gun in 2011 all season long.If you want to try some different bullets try Hornadys XTP in .452 250 or 300gr.You can get 50 of them for like 16 bucks.Then get yourself some Harvester Crush Rib Sabots.Check there site out at harvester.com. Another great and dirt cheap bullet is Speers Deep Curl / Gold dot in the same .452 250 or 300gr and they are about the same 16bucks for 50 and use the crush rib sabot.The no excuses is a conical and they shoot good out of my TC but some people say the QLA throws the bullet off and are not as accurate.Its has to do if the QLA is 100% perfetly center to the barrel.I have spent hours thinking about it and its a looooooooooooooooooooooong theory.

I know pellets are easy and thats what I use for hunting too, just pop and go but if you get the chance to try Black Horn 209,its legit.I can get 30 shots at the range before cleaning my barrel.If I use T7 loose or pellets I swab every third shot.

I wish TC never stopped making the X7,its as close to perfect as it can get.

I wish TC never stopped making the X7,its as close to perfect as it can get.

Couldn't agree more.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will be ordering some new things to play around with at the range shortly

Rob just as an fyi, Hornady SSt's are the same bullet as shock waves.  Hornady makes both.  The ony difference is the color of the tip.  I shoot my NEF sidekick mostly.  I also have the metrics unlimited plug as well as shoot blackhorn 209. I weigh my charges to 60 gr by weight, which is just about 87 volume.  I use harvestor crush rib sabots as well as a lead bullet I mold 250 graind round nose .429 and w209 primers.  This cuts back on cost considerably.  I also have acquired a T/C impact, which I so far like, but it is not the shooter the NEF is.  Both have a scope mounted Nikon buckmasters 3x9x40.  Overkill for the ML, but I prefer overkill to underkill.  I live in rifle country, but use the ml almost exclusively.  I also have a t/c hawken I have owned since 1978. 80 grains of goex ffg black powder and a patched round ball and a T/c tang peep sight.  During the special season, I use it to make it more primitive.  I have been shooting a lot lately, as it is one of the best stress relievers I know.  I have been dabbling in mlers since 78, and really it is my go to way to hunt.